Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-02-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Baseball managers are vastly overrated

kyleb,
why is it illegal for the GM to be in the dugout?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:35 AM

Just put on a uni,and a fake mustache/nose/glasses a la Bobby Valentine after he got the heave. Noone would be the wiser
Old 11-02-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think like 90% of SE posters already think this and say it often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those 90% are wrong. It's just plain stupid to think a knowledgable baseball fan could step in to a Major League manager's job and handle all the dynamics of it.

I doubt many of those 90% have any clue how a sports team functions off the field, especially at the professional level.

The 90% think they can do the job because they could set a line-up, choose a starting pitcher, call for a relief, and maybe even make a double-switch. They can't do the job because they don't even know everything else a manager is responsible for.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
kyleb,
why is it illegal for the GM to be in the dugout?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. It's against the rules, though.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm
Really?

What does my boss do anyway? Just delegates assignments and organizes us, handles talking to other bosses, is approachable and has a knowledge base, designs projects...

Managers make the big decisions. They also make the smaller ones you don't know about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your boss get paid a couple million bucks a year to do that? Just because their is a small supply of world class baseball players does not meant that there is an even smaller supply of world class baseball managers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the skill set and knowledge base you pay for, as well as ability to deal well with both players and media. There are not many people who have that experience that can represent the team so well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, you're telling me that there is such a small supply of baseball managers that teams have no choice but to throw millions of dollars at a guy like Dusty Baker, not once, not twice, but three times? When there are thousands of people in this country qualified to work for NASA for far less pay than a MLB manager receives, I highly doubt that there are only fifty or so guys with the skill set to make a double switch and figure out bullpen assignments. It's just a hugely inefficient system.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They can't do the job because they don't even know everything else a manager is responsible for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the people that have played college ball (and currently coach) that say it wouldn't be hard at all.

Your response should be "Blah blah college ball is not analogous to pro ball etc etc dealing with paid athletes here and so forth" which is just stupid if you think about it for 5 actual seconds.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Managers have little impact on actual games. Pretty much everyone knows this, and has for a while. My best guess is that owners who choose to pay 5 million for someone like Torre believe that managers can be excellent leaders/coaches to maximize the performance of their players.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, this makes sense to me
Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 AM

To further expound on why Dynasty is wrong, the field manager is in charge of filling out a lineup card, giving his opinion to the front office about players in the minors and big leagues (how much weight it is given depends on the club - Oakland, basically nothing; San Francisco, a lot), tells the players to work with the hitting/pitching coaches, hits them fungoes and grounders, acts as their authority figure, and is in charge of all the other tertiary coaches (bench coach, hitting/pitching coaches, base coaches, etc).

Trust me when I say that a LOT of people are qualified for this job.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:45 AM

How come I say something, someone else says the same damn thing, and they always get replied to? Always. I am a forum martyr.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm
Really?

What does my boss do anyway? Just delegates assignments and organizes us, handles talking to other bosses, is approachable and has a knowledge base, designs projects...

Managers make the big decisions. They also make the smaller ones you don't know about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your boss get paid a couple million bucks a year to do that? Just because their is a small supply of world class baseball players does not meant that there is an even smaller supply of world class baseball managers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the skill set and knowledge base you pay for, as well as ability to deal well with both players and media. There are not many people who have that experience that can represent the team so well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, you're telling me that there is such a small supply of baseball managers that teams have no choice but to throw millions of dollars at a guy like Dusty Baker, not once, not twice, but three times? When there are thousands of people in this country qualified to work for NASA for far less pay than a MLB manager receives, I highly doubt that there are only fifty or so guys with the skill set to make a double switch and figure out bullpen assignments. It's just a hugely inefficient system.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. great point! I'm even more convinced now...