Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-01-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Tanenbaum or Stox?

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely get the SH D&B book

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the SH D&B book? I dont get what D&B stands for [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the SH D&B book? I dont get what D&B stands for [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
D&B is the publisher.
SH = This short handed book.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

Whats the SH D&B book? I dont get what D&B stands for

D&B is the publisher.
SH = This short handed book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:19 PM

Are the two Tanenbaum books a compiliation of his Card Player columns, new material or a combination (and if a combination about what percent of new v CP columns)?

~ Rick
Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 PM

His Advanced Strategy book is both a combination of stuff he has written for Card Player (some of which has been reworked) and all new material. The Shorthanded book is written by two Shorthanded experts named Terry Borer and Lawrence Mak with BT acting as a collaborator. To be honest, you could give the Advanced book a miss. It's pretty good but not "essential" however the SH book is a must have for any serious limit hold 'em player. It is the best material available on short handed play. I don't know of anyone yet who has read this book that wasn't highly impressed by it.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
however the SH book is a must have for any serious limit hold 'em player. It is the best material available on short handed play. I don't know of anyone yet who has read this book that wasn't highly impressed by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to Adman. He speaks the truth [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The Tanenbaum book is okay with some good points, but the Borer/Mak book is really good.

/Smurf
Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His Advanced Strategy book is both a combination of stuff he has written for Card Player (some of which has been reworked) and all new material.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll probably get it given I'm in LA and don't play much higher than 20/40; from the CP articles Barry's style is fairly well suited for these mid level full ring games.

[ QUOTE ]
The Shorthanded book is written by two Shorthanded experts named Terry Borer and Lawrence Mak with BT acting as a collaborator. To be honest, you could give the Advanced book a miss. It's pretty good but not "essential" however the SH book is a must have for any serious limit hold 'em player. It is the best material available on short handed play. I don't know of anyone yet who has read this book that wasn't highly impressed by it.

[/ QUOTE ]
It will be interesting to compare this with the Stox book. There's not too much short play in LA B&M below 40/80 but sometimes the short strategy can be applied when you have walkers or the game is starting and tight.

Thanks for the heads up.

~ Rick
Old 11-02-2007, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His Advanced Strategy book is both a combination of stuff he has written for Card Player (some of which has been reworked) and all new material. The Shorthanded book is written by two Shorthanded experts named Terry Borer and Lawrence Mak with BT acting as a collaborator. To be honest, you could give the Advanced book a miss. It's pretty good but not "essential" however the SH book is a must have for any serious limit hold 'em player. It is the best material available on short handed play. I don't know of anyone yet who has read this book that wasn't highly impressed by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft. i have spent way too much time thinking about SH LHE over the last few years and I was still very impressed with the quality of the SH book. stox's book is great too, but it is really a precursor to Mak and Borer's more in-depth material.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know of anyone yet who has read this book that wasn't highly impressed by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that a bit early to say? And why are you so Positive about that? You get some money because of it or what? Mr. Ad Man.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
50-60% on the flop kinda scares me, because I always have to remember Sklansky's horse racing paradox where a bunch of weak hands can be a combined massive favorite over a single strong one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? So?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's rather interesting as a complete subject. I think that horse thing was about some horses that sometimes do better than the average favorite, and Sklansky thinks it will then be no more the favorite or something like that what comes to it winning.

That could raise some views about tournament strategy; should one be the wild horse, use such a strategy and then maybe cool down as the tournament progresses or one gets enough ships. And does the will horses in the tournament decrease one's chances to get to the highest places.

In poker there are the mixes of players that make the game like rock, paper and scissors, and if one doesn't know well enough who is who, the horse that wins against any one of them individually, will not win (as well or at all) when they are together. Such things seems to happen in loose games if it has such a mix of players and in games where one has less information about the opponents' styles, like at full ring games compared to shorthanded games.