Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 10-27-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Playing Setup and Health

This is a quasi PSA thread and perhaps it will turn into something slightly more useful.

I know that we sometimes tend to focus entirely on the details of hands, but one thing that can easily go overlooked is a player's computer setup. Many of those who play full-time go the extra mile to ensure that they have the proper setup and accessories to ensure their body functions at its peak while playing and doesnt suffer any ill effects from the many hours logged in a relatively similar position.

I don't know how many of the other do and I just wanted to take a moment to remind people to think about it some. Especially those that play 25+ hours a week consistantly.

I do this particularly because I have recently began to encounter moderate problems in my mouse arm, which relates in significant part (if not entirely) due to my poker play and poor setup. The details are relatively unimportant and its not as if I've lost the use of anything, but ensuring that I have a proper setup is something I always said I'd do next week or the next time I hit a big rush. Now, after 4 years of play, I've finally realized that perhaps it is something that needed more attention earlier. Now I am facing a variety of symptoms that really restrict play of any significant length of time and even while not at a computer I have problems.

So, please consider reviewing your setup and perhaps those that play full-time can share some of their pictures/items used/etc to help the process.

Evening PSA by your friendly host
Old 10-27-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Playing Setup and Health

the logitech trackball changed my life. no more tired or sore wrist ever. as for setup i play on a laptop sitting in my reclinger, and use a lapdesk to hold the comp and mouse
Old 10-27-2007, 01:00 AM

This is a repost of a post I made in the chat thread about a week or two ago:

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations to me - I've made Carpal/Tunnel.

The condition that is, rather than the number of posts. Can anyone link me to the post someone made about good mice/wrist supports?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started to get this several years ago. Not quite to the point where I had to seek medical attention, but, I had a hard time spreading my fingers flat and couldn't make a real fist. Came on quite suddenly and was pretty scary.

The first thing you really need to do is completely reassess your work environment. In my case, most of my trouble was caused by sitting too far away from my desk. My desk at work was quite narrow and if I sat right close to my desk, my knees would hit the wall. So I was sitting far away from the desk, and having to stretch my arms out when typing. Pulling my desk about 6 inches out from the wall helped an awful lot as I could sit in close and wouldn't have to extend my arms.

I also started doing exercises at my desk, constantly, stuff like this:

http://www.carpaltunnelexercises.net

In particular, every half hour (at least) I would drop my arms to the sides of my chair and shake my hands and fingers for a minute or so to loosen everything up.

I also started squeezing a stress ball constantly (both hands, obv). Took that thing with me everywhere. You want a stress ball that gives some resistance, not one that's total mush. Use a tennis ball or rubber ball if that's all that's handy.

It took me a couple months for things to return to normal, but I haven't had a problem for at least 5 years.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the logitech trackball changed my life. no more tired or sore wrist ever. as for setup i play on a laptop sitting in my reclinger, and use a lapdesk to hold the comp and mouse

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I got to the point that I had couldn't play some days and/or couldn't play as long, until I bought this -- I use a TV tray [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. They also make cordless versions.

I started squeezing a stress ball as well.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:11 AM

also, any of you who work at a decent size company should be able to get some info on this from your hr department

also, thanks for the PSA berge, sorry to hear you're in pain. feel better soon, I hope.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:59 AM

I have one mouse for my right hand and one for my left and donīt use one hand all of the time.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:36 AM

A really comfy chair deffo helps too.. I opted for a this >>>

being comfortable helps me to play longer.. however universal balance is maintained by the baby that reduces how long i can play
Old 10-27-2007, 06:47 AM

Simon, with a distraction that wonderful I'm not sure how you ever have time to play. She is precious!
Old 10-27-2007, 06:51 AM

full tilt shortcuts

comfortable ergonomic chair that has back support and forces you to sit up straight.

mesh back chairs are nice.

take breaks every hour and do jumping jacks, or take a quick jog around the block.

mousepad with gel wrist-pad can be good.

wrist pad for keyboard also good.

look away from monitor at something far away as often as possible, doing this on break helps also.

stretching and exercising regularly do wonders, dont become an atrophied, pimply-assed, goblin with CTS!
Old 10-27-2007, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Simon, with a distraction that wonderful I'm not sure how you ever have time to play. She is precious!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] QFT [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]