Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Bans

nick,

seriously, yeah. that was long.

my margarita was like 10 parts tequila and a dash of salt. wtf.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:36 PM

i guess i'm in the minority because i think there should be wayyyy more bans than there are currently.

there are tons of people in the strat forums who are nothing more than glorified trolls, yet i don't ban them because they aren't technically doing anything wrong, and no doubt i would get pulled up on it if i started nuking these guys.

but what is even the big deal about being banned? you suck, you get banned. come back with a new name. if you no longer suck, you won't get banned any more. it's basically just survival of the fittest, where fittest is the ability to avoid posting like a retard.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 PM

citanulforadmin
Old 10-15-2007, 10:50 PM

I feel like I need to comment here for Ryan's sake, largely because I have been more than filling my ban quota lately and may be responsible for this thread more than I'd like to be. Over in Micro, we've been running a ban gimmick for the last couple weeks. It came about because of the appearance of a troll, albeit a funny one, and then a great poster telling him "Less hugs, more bans." I picked that for the title of our NC thread and joked about being stressed out (true) and having an itch ban finger. People made a game out of it, and the gimmick was born. Aussie and I have been frivolously banning people for minutes or hours tops, not for punitive or correctional reasons, but for fun and sport. It's the forum's best posters that are getting micro-banned, not people who are actually misbehaving. For the most part, the response has been fun and positive, generally good for a cheap laugh. The gimmick is nearing the point when it stops being funny and starts being passe, but if you want me to stop this immediately rather than letting it die a natural death, I can arrange it.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is even the big deal about being banned? you suck, you get banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should we put that under the logo, you think?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
citanulforadmin

[/ QUOTE ]
Giggle

[ QUOTE ]
1) iron, how did you do that (get the ban messages)

[/ QUOTE ]
Ryan posted it a couple months ago.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that they decide that the whole humor of a forum is seeing how far they can toe that line, and then somehow becoming a martyr for getting punished for their hilarity, is I think at this point out of the control of the moderators, as formulated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally those aren't the bans that make me frown. I'm talking about regular types of people getting blocked when they don't have to be just because of others. You mention inmates running the asylum in your post. That strikes me because acting like prison guards and firing haphazardly into potential mobs is exactly how I would describe how our moderation is viewed, and I don't look at dealing with what's going on from that perspective.

I'm starting to see a forum that probably would have banned or run me off with some of the current practices if I had not become a moderator of it.

And I'm not really that soft on bans either. I just don't see the point in a large percentage of the temporary ones. Most accomplish very little and only further the adversarial relationship between mods and users on 2+2.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:35 PM

If there are fewer bans I think the ones that are made need to be permanent.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:38 PM

in general, if i could simply suspend someone from starting threads in OOT, i think it would do away with a huge number of bans. it is not like i love banning people, i just don't have many other options at my disposal. believe me, i have tried to explain rules to people over and over and over. it generally seems to make things worse - hell even half the mods here can't understand them. if you think i am going to get into a ten part PM convo every time some tard can't understand that his particular medical problem is not OOT material, get bent.

i think people underestimate how much the cumbersome software on this forum limits the mods. no IP checks, inflexible options regarding user rights and monitoring, lack of centralized info, user notes that are in disarray and sometimes get deleted, etc. these were not things that we could have anticipated needing when this was a close-knit strategy forum - but now that we are a high-traffic forum with a variety of communities and our requisite share of persistent trolls and jackasses, we need the tools to deal with it.

in the meantime, i don't think there's any problem with the bannings as they are now. i really don't want to sound like a malcontent mod, and this isn't the first time i've made a comment like this, but a lot of times we don't get information right away from admins and we don't get new tools to deal with troublesome users, so it bugs me a little bit when, every month or two, people start saying 'why aren't we doing something different?' well, we aren't doing anything different because everyone pipes up to complain every now and then, and nothing comes of it. it's not that mods aren't adjusting policies and trying to be flexible. we are.

if you want to pay me to do all those things and more i would happily do it. hell it would be an ideal job for me. but as a volunteer it's just not something you can ask of me given the amount of time it takes and the relative thanklessness of doing it.

this is why i am excited about the new software. i really think it will give us some tools to do some good stuff and make the forums better. i hope everyone will be this active in the discussions when we actually have some tools to change things.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you think i am going to get into a ten part PM convo every time some tard can't understand that his particular medical problem is not OOT material, get bent.

[/ QUOTE ]

There may be some misconception about my views on this. No, I'm not suggesting you do that. At most it should only ever require 2 PMs in the current software. Use of the infraction system in vB will help out with some of that too. People will sometimes want to argue with you, of course, but the warning was never intended to be a whole lot of discussion. When I say talk to people I mean that more generally polite warnings would be nice instead. How much you want to discuss with them after that is personal preference.

You guys sometimes mention not wanting to have to do more. I don't believe I'm asking for that. I'm actually suggesting that you do less of something and replace it with whatever else. Regardless, we still need to discuss the infraction system. It's not going to be like some separate thing that can always be ignored or used whenever. Integrating it with how the site is moderated is an important thing to figure out before we get there. If nobody has alternatives for that, I'll go with the 50 points idea.