Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 02:11 PM

Default I win more when I\'m on tilt

I'm a pretty consistent TAG player with a steady (but pretty slow) winrate. I'm a little too tight and too scared to play drawing hands.

Every once in a while, I just run into one of those days where it's just one bad beat after another. I play tight for a reason, I prefer less variance and a steady consistent winrate.

But like everyone, I get the urge to go on tilt when stuff like this happens... and unlike most players, I'm stupid enough to let myself give into it. I do at least set rules for my stupidity... I go to double my usual stakes, take one buy-in only, and whatever happens happens. Dumb thing to do, but it's worth it to me, it makes me feel better to give into the tilt urges a bit. And if I lose, I just call it a day and never go further.

Well, in the long run I have found that I win over twice as many BB/hour when I'm playing at a level I'm uncomfortable with.

Any ideas why this would happen? I haven't had a bunch of lucky hands when I move up. I'm not aware that I'm playing any differently.

Should I maybe try intentionally playing for more than I'm comfortable with? Seems like maybe that scared/nervous feeling turns me into a half decent player.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: I win more when I\'m on tilt

First!

I believe is was Harrington or Sklansky that said you often make the most money when you change gears. Supposedly its because the table has a certain perspective of you.

This doesn't seem to be the case with you and maybe you are a loose aggressive player but you just don't seem to like it. Just because your not getting AA, AK, and QQ doesn't mean you aren't getting a good run of cards. Sometimes your dealt marginal hands when everyone gets nothing and you win those hands easily or you catch flops like crazy when no one catches anything.

I wouldn't move up a level or change my game for you and I like how you set rules for your tilt lol

I think eventually variance will kick in and you will start losing at the higher level but until then I'll see you at the table.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, in the long run I have found that I win over twice as many BB/hour when I'm playing at a level I'm uncomfortable with.

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt you have hit the long run. I doubt you have a decent estimate of your win rate at the higher level.

It's possible that tilting fixes some of your leaks and that this allows you to win more at higher levels, but not likely.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:51 PM

I think you should be more concrete than just labeling it tilt. What was the condition at the table when you started winning, what happened and why did it happen. If it happened because you changed your play because you were on tilt, then what changed? meaning what changes when you are on tilt.

I have similar experiences to yours, like when you lose some you get worked up and want play for real and I do believe that one is very focused in that state of mind. However I think it's an illusion to assume one just plays better when on tilt or plays higher ect. Unless this has happened to you many times, like 20 times I think it's too soon to think that playing higher when on tilt is profitable. I do understand why you would put it out there though but I hope you can see my point. Instead of just generalize things, go into every single situation where you win or lose and determine why you win or lose
Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 PM

It probably means you lack focus at the lower level. This is a leak you can fix. Your goal is to be completely unconcerned about the money, and just focus on the decisions.

It is highly unlikely that tilt makes you better. I think playing against players you perceive to be better for higher stakes focuses you. Now take that focus back to your legit level and use it until you build the bankroll to move up.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It probably means you lack focus at the lower level. This is a leak you can fix. Your goal is to be completely unconcerned about the money, and just focus on the decisions.

I like this advice...

It is highly unlikely that tilt makes you better. I think playing against players you perceive to be better for higher stakes focuses you. Now take that focus back to your legit level and use it until you build the bankroll to move up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should be more specific than just labeling it tilt. What was the condition at the table when you started winning, what happened and why did it happen. If it happened because you changed your play because you were on tilt, then what changed? meaning what changes when you are on tilt.

I have similar experiences to yours, like when you lose some you get worked up and want play for real and I do believe that one is very focused in that state of mind. However I think it's an illusion to assume one just plays better when on tilt or plays higher ect. Unless this has happened to you many times, like 20 times I think it's too soon to think that playing higher when on tilt is profitable. I do understand why you would put it out there though but I hope you can see my point. Instead of just generalize things, go into every single situation where you win or lose and determine why you win or lose

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2007, 03:56 AM

WTF i can't edit!
Old 10-05-2007, 04:37 AM

There's a lot of threads like this, and they usually start with something like, "I'm a winning player, but...", and then you get a couple strange theories.

Moving up to chase losses and poor tilt control are destructive, although I realize you might be running hot and disagree. I'd read up on bankroll management.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 PM

If you need to ask, it seems you need to improve on your selective aggression. That comes mainly as a by-product of experience.

What comes to tilting improving someone's play, it happens at least at heads up games, limit holdem heads up games when a weaker opponent starts to tilt. He then actually starts to play better though he is still playing badly but he is closer to the optimal strategy.

About other improvements, you may be too scared to show aggression in situations where your more experienced feel and logic would tell you to show more aggression, but you are not so sure yet.