Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 05:19 PM

Default What does \"to straddle\" mean?

Okay, I'm slowly learning the NLHE poker lingo (can girls be balla?), but I haven't quite grasped what straddling is. When and why and how is it played?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: What does \"to straddle\" mean?

Straddle

Poker Glossary

A straddle is a blind bet made by the person under the gun. A straddle bet is equivalent to two big blinds. The person who posts the straddle gets to bet last in the preflop round. A straddle is very ill-advised in a limit game because you are unnecessarily posting a large blind bet out of position. Straddles are more common for games such as pot limit Omaha, where the straddle acts to increase the stakes of the game.

http://www.pokertips.org/glossary/w/STRADDLE
Old 10-03-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Straddle

Poker Glossary

A straddle is a blind bet made by the person under the gun. A straddle bet is equivalent to two big blinds. The person who posts the straddle gets to bet last in the preflop round. A straddle is very ill-advised in a limit game because you are unnecessarily posting a large blind bet out of position. Straddles are more common for games such as pot limit Omaha, where the straddle acts to increase the stakes of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definition is correct so I don't know why they messed up the part I bolded. You're actually posting double big blind bet. Maybe they're just using large in a generic sense....

And in NL the straddle can be more than double the BB. Double the BB would be the minimum you could straddle for.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'm slowly learning the NLHE poker lingo (can girls be balla?), but I haven't quite grasped what straddling is. When and why and how is it played?

[/ QUOTE ]
It can be played in live cahs games, and has the effect ofmaking the pot bigger PF so there is lots more action. They use it all the time on High Stakes Poker (tv show). Degens like Farha and Eli love it; nits like Laak and Todd Brunson refuse to do it.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:19 PM

If you're under the gun and you choose to straddle, do you have to announce it before your cards are dealt?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:28 PM

Good question. I don't think so, but the dealer generally will as you need to get your bet out there pre deal.

Gregorio- On HSP since (most) everyone is straddling it practically becomes a game with 3 blinds. Since action isn't really an issue it's more of a way to just increase the stakes without actually raising the blinds. And the tighter players are wise not to straddle.

Also, there can be mutliple straddles. In limit this could extend all the way to the cap. Say its a 3/6 game and a bet and 4 raises is allowed. UTG straddles for 6, UTG+1 can straddle for 9......all the way to MP2 straddling for 15.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:16 PM

You have to straddle before you see your cards right?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:47 PM

You're a girl?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to straddle before you see your cards right?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I'm asking. Is the action: blinds are posted, straddle is posted, cards are dealt

Or is it: blinds are posted, cards are dealt, under the gun announces straddle and posts straddle

Sorry if it sounds dumb, but it's not clear from the definition.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:52 PM

I agree it is unclear and I play exclusively online and have never seen straddle done before.