Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Idling, Card Dead

On another forum here, or maybe here, someone asked for words of poker wisdom. One I firmly believe in is "Win early, lose late" (unless you're Jamie Gold).

So, tonight at a bar game I had an incredible rush of good cards, QQs twice, 99s, QJ to an A-high str8, that kind of thing. So I'm sitting there with just scads of chips. Then I go card dead. Even flopping a set of 7s didn't help me. During 3-way play this one kid, who was short stacked, is suddenly getting the cards. To make a long story short, I went out in 3rd place.

What should be done in this situation? Fold SBs and check in un-raised pots in the BB, folding when you don't hit? With the people I play with I don't even bother to bluff. Altho I've been bluffed plenty off hands lots of times, maybe it's a blind spot in my games, but I always feel if I tried it, based on the board, it will never work, even with a big stack.

What can I do?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Idling, Card Dead

In a 3 way game you have to bluff. Its easy to play good cards but you will also need to adapt to spot weakness and play bad cards. If they think you are a tight player then you could use this to your advantage.