Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Are all poker players degenerates?

[ QUOTE ]
No. And you can say poker player without including it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry. Didn't mean to strike a nerve.

As I said, I don't think I'm a degenerate, altho I did go to Vegas with a few K with no fear of losing it all, altho I didn't, came home with most of it.

And I certainly didn't mean to offend any long-time 2+2'ers, but I did notice the word being used a bit and wondered if it was in disapproval or as a badge of honor.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, I don't think I'm a degenerate, altho I did go to Vegas with a few K with no fear of losing it all, altho I didn't, came home with most of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine, and actually good. Your treating it as entertainment money, money that if you lose, you can afford it. A degen takes far too much and EXPECTS to double it. Or more.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:12 PM

Let's answer your question with a similar question..

Are all Christians hypocrites?

Think about it and you'll find your answer
Old 08-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Why label people as one extreme or the other. The way I look at it, most successful players are probably somewhere in between degenerate and party animal. If you're the former, then it would stand to reason you'd be less skilled at reading people; your intuition wouldn't be as sharp as an outgoing person, so you'd lack a key component of being a winning player. If you're the latter, you probably hate reading poker books, and would rather go get wasted off a half gallon of captain morgan's and have sex with chicks that appear to be sexy in your drunken state but are fat in reality, but as long as you don't know and nobody else knows you hit it then hey you're fine with it.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or is there a level one has to reach before being deemed so. I don't think I'm a degenerate, I only play free MTT a couple of times a week, haven't been to Vegas in a while altho I did play a STT at French Lick, IN. Does one have to drink heavily and chase women to be degenerate? That certainly leaves me out, thank goodness. The people I play with don't read here, so I'm being exposed to many new concepts and words. I don't mean that degenerate is new, but it seems that you can't say poker player without including it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The definition you are probalby using, above, for degenerate is probably this one

[ QUOTE ]
a person who has declined, as in morals or character, from a type or standard considered normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people consider any form of gambling to be immoral. In their minds, poker is gambling. Poker is therefore immoral. And poker players are "degenerate" because they have declined in morals or character from a standard that they consider to be normal.

If you believe that gambling is immoral, and if you then play poker for money, then you are a degenerate.

Fortunately, I don't share that belief regarding the morality or immorality of gambling. Nor do most people - just look at the lottery lines when the jackpots get big.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think this question should be here and may cause the thread to get locked. The only thing I'll say is that no Christian hews 100% to the 10 commandments, so, yes all are hypocritical to one degree or another.

I asked the original question because I don't want to think that being a poker player is being a degenerate. It might be fun to some, deadly serious to others, some get it, others don't, but I'm not passing judgement. I enjoy reading the trip reports as much as anyone, even the one from back in March. I was just curious about the use of the word here.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry. Didn't mean to strike a nerve.

And I certainly didn't mean to offend any long-time 2+2'ers, but I did notice the word being used a bit and wondered if it was in disapproval or as a badge of honor.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL....no problems JJT. My apologies if I came off harsh. With all the other responses I just thought I'd keep mind short and to the point. I was going to go on about the definition of degenerate, use a couple of comparison questions (Are all teachers intelligent? Are all cops law abiding? Are all lawyers scum?) like another poster and possibly get all philisophical but then I changed my mind.

Occupation or hobby really has no bearing on whether or not a person, by definition, is a degenerate, (unless you want to include illegal professions, perhaps like drug dealer. Although by definition not all drug dealers need be degenerates).

To automatically think degenerate when hearing the term poker player is a gross overgeneralization, especially in this era. If this is a persons automatic perception then I'd say they are rather uninformed about the types of people that currently play poker (and have played in the past)and the game itself. This is the same lack of knowledge, understanding and perception that leads to all types of prejudices.

In my opinion the word is probably overused and not really intended as per it's definition. Most who probably use the word are using it more as a term of expression for someone who doesn't have a regular job, or a steady income stream, someone who is outside of what they consider the norm for a woking class individual (So just like Phil Ivey would be degenerate poker player, Tiger Woods would be a degenerate golfer.)

Personally I don't associate with anyone I would consider to be a degenerate, although I've met a few.

Guess I blew the short, to the point reponse huh....lol

Since you asked the question I'd be interested in knowing what brought it up? And why you feel the need to defend (justify?)your actions.

ps. I'm not trying to provoke any type of arguement or cause this discussion to degenerate. Just trying to contribute my opinion.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or is there a level one has to reach before being deemed so. I don't think I'm a degenerate, I only play free MTT a couple of times a week, haven't been to Vegas in a while altho I did play a STT at French Lick, IN. Does one have to drink heavily and chase women to be degenerate? That certainly leaves me out, thank goodness. The people I play with don't read here, so I'm being exposed to many new concepts and words. I don't mean that degenerate is new, but it seems that you can't say poker player without including it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The definition you are probalby using, above, for degenerate is probably this one

[ QUOTE ]
a person who has declined, as in morals or character, from a type or standard considered normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people consider any form of gambling to be immoral. In their minds, poker is gambling. Poker is therefore immoral. And poker players are "degenerate" because they have declined in morals or character from a standard that they consider to be normal.

If you believe that gambling is immoral, and if you then play poker for money, then you are a degenerate.

Fortunately, I don't share that belief regarding the morality or immorality of gambling. Nor do most people - just look at the lottery lines when the jackpots get big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post Al. Mirrors my thoughts but much more succinct and direct.

p.s. They're not gambling, they're investing in their retirement plan.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:25 PM

I think you really need to ask yourself who is telling you to equate degenerate with poker player, and ask yourself why you're letting these people place their assumptions in your mind.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think this question should be here and may cause the thread to get locked. The only thing I'll say is that no Christian hews 100% to the 10 commandments, so, yes all are hypocritical to one degree or another.

I asked the original question because I don't want to think that being a poker player is being a degenerate. It might be fun to some, deadly serious to others, some get it, others don't, but I'm not passing judgement. I enjoy reading the trip reports as much as anyone, even the one from back in March. I was just curious about the use of the word here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I don't think you really got where I was coming from on that. I'm saying as much as the human race loves and needs classification to function, you simply cannot classify a broad category as one specific stereotype. You cannot call all Christian's hypocrites even though there are many, you cannot call all non-Christian's bad people, you cant call all football players morons, ect. ect. ect. Now maybe that clears it up for you. BTW why would you lock the thread because of that?