Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Are all poker players degenerates?

Or is there a level one has to reach before being deemed so. I don't think I'm a degenerate, I only play free MTT a couple of times a week, haven't been to Vegas in a while altho I did play a STT at French Lick, IN. Does one have to drink heavily and chase women to be degenerate? That certainly leaves me out, thank goodness. The people I play with don't read here, so I'm being exposed to many new concepts and words. I don't mean that degenerate is new, but it seems that you can't say poker player without including it.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Are all poker players degenerates?

Usually "degenerate" is used in the 2+2/Poker world to describe one of three types of individuals:

1) Someone who gambles far above their means, and is usually busted

2) Someone who gambles within their means, but enjoys making longshot, high dollar prop and sports bets,

and finally

3) The Websters definition of "degenerate", a player who plays poker well, with thought, but lives a degenerate lifestyle.

Hope this helps.

~Mike
Old 08-24-2007, 08:09 AM

1. Okay.
2. Okay.
3. Ouch.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
n.

1. A depraved, corrupt, or vicious person.
2. A person lacking or having progressively lost normative biological or psychological characteristics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker in and of itself isn't to blame, it just so happens that gambling happens to attract degenerates.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did play a STT at French Lick, IN

[/ QUOTE ]
I played a tournament there a couple weeks ago. Terrible structure. The 3/6 NL game actually looked really good, but that's too expensive for me. Maybe I'll play some more there when I get my roll up to 12k.

To answer your question, no, playing poker doesn't make you degenerate unless gambling is wrong according to your system of morality or you're playing with money you can't afford to lose. It's weird that you'd ask a question like that here on a POKER website, what do you expect us to say?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:54 AM

Gimme a break. I hang out on this forum because it mostly populated by highly intelligent, articulate (well, maybe we have to ding Shaun Deeb a bit for his writing, although he's obviously an excellent player) individuals, who, let's face it, are providing valuable advice for free to newbies and wannabes such as myself. If these guys are degenerates, sign me up.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 PM

I agree with Gonso and Cheburashka. I visit this forum regularly and find that most of the folks that post here are intelligent, articulate, and hilarious. i'm also constantly surprised that people spend large amounts of time giving advice and feedback to people looking to better their game--considering there's almost NO benefit to them for doing it. I for one want everyone I play poker with to be clueless....
Probably the worst thing about poker players, myself in particular, is that I am constantly targeting weak players and exploiting their weakness. That's not exactly altruistic. I just have to keep reminding myself that the people I am playing with are by and large looking for some entertainment, and playing with money they can afford to lose (to me).
Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 PM

I think like most other things in life, it's about balance. And it can be about anything, not just poker, so if there is something in your life that is out of balance, it has the potential to affect your life in an adverse way. I think it has more to do with the individual's tendencies, than it does to poker itself. I play recreationally, so if my playing negatively affected my career or family, the issue is really my choices, not poker itself, because my poor choices of excess can surface in other ways as well.

[/my 2 cents]
Old 08-24-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably the worst thing about poker players, myself in particular, is that I am constantly targeting weak players and exploiting their weakness. That's not exactly altruistic. I just have to keep reminding myself that the people I am playing with are by and large looking for some entertainment, and playing with money they can afford to lose (to me).

[/ QUOTE ]
Over the years I've been amazed at how many people I've met, who fly to Vegas with thousands of dollars to gamble away. And they expect to lose it. To them, it's considered recreation, and they're thrilled if they break even or are only down a few hundred. For some, it's like a hobby that they pour money into for entertainment, like you stated. Look at it like this, you're getting paid to teach them... I know I've learned a lesson or two the hard way.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:11 PM

No. And you can say poker player without including it.