Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Food at home games

My home games are always BYO what ever you want to drink or eat. I do provide the standard pretzels, chips, and dip. We've had pizza delivered and my wife has cooked one time for all of us (which was nice).

We have started taking a $1 per person for each game played to cover the upcoming games for the end of the year push when we finish our league's first year. I plan on having a small keg of refreshment and wings from a local joint that's out of this world.

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 01:31 PM

Tournaments - I take about a $5 fee (actual amount varies as it's based on total players but $5 is max) per initial buy in. I provide all food and drink. Food includes snacks (chips, pretzels, m & m's, trail mix, etc.) and some main dish(s) - pizza, deli sandwiches. I've also had chinese, fajita's, Indian cuisine and even ex-Raider Kenny King barbequeing me up some nice hot wings (He also autographed some photos for the winner) Drinks are beer, soda, water, coffee - No hard alcohol. Typical turnout is 24-30 players

Cash game - I supply all food and drink, but it is much more low key, mostly snacks or finger food (wings, eggrolls, etc.) Pizza at the most. I supply all the beverages but if a player wants to bring some wine or hard alcohol thats okay. I take no money from this game but most players will volunteer to help pay.

THis is how I choose to run my games. I want the players to have a great time and feel they get their money's worth. I want my game to be just a bit better (?) than the other guy's. I want players to enjoy my game and to spend their money.

How you choose to handle food / drink at your game is up to you. You've experienced several different types of situations so which did you prefer? I don't think there is a norm, overall? Take a look at the timing of your game and see what the needs of the players might be? Is it during the week and they come straight from work? (dinner?) Is it a weekday where most (all) need to work the next day? (Less alcohol consumption?) Is it a serious game? (Less alcohol?) or one where guys are just having fun and relaxing?(more alcohol?)

One last thing. The more you choose to provide the greater the set up time.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and clean up time...
Old 08-21-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and clean up time...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.. so very true. Typically anything home cooked gets put in something disposable, usualy metal tins and kept warm in chafing dishes. Paper plates, bowls, utensils and cups also.

I try not to serve anything too messy on the hands, but I do have wet naps on hand just in case. I have side tables for all the food / drink so nothing, and I mean nothing, ever gets set on the poker tables.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:13 PM

I have a game with my friends at my home about once a month (usually $20 buyin tourney with rebuys for first hour - no vig). I always provide liquor, beer, soft drinks, and snacks. Always have chips and munchies, some sort of dip, and usually have something like hot wings or sausages - have even done burgers and dogs. People often bring beer or a bottle. I look at it like I am entertaining my friends at my house for the evening, and we happen to play poker - noone is there for the money, and we always have a good time.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:28 PM

I've hosted a couple of poker nights, and what I found is that providing drinks and snacks can get a bit expensive if you don't watch what you spend.

The first time I had poker night, I provided everything. Beer, drinks and chips. People then went to the nearby Jack in the Box to get burgers so there was a lot of trash.

Second time I provided beer, chips and pizza. Seemed like no one wanted to eat the pizza (which was good, by the way) and no one pitched in for the drinks.

The last time out, I bought beer for me, and chips and homemade salsa and guacamole. People brought their own beer, and gave me a rake at the end of night to help defray the costs.