Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Food at home games

I noticed a post further down the thread mentioning a playing a particular way when food arrived, but I'd like to ask those who have home games if you actually serve food to your guest if you don't order out?

I've played in 2 home games. In one, hosted by a man, he never, I mean never had anything to eat, and you had to BYOB, even water. In the other game, hosted by a female couple, they'd have the dry munchies like pretzels, cheetos and liquor even tho people still BYOB'd if they wanted other than that.

A couple of times I brought a crock-pot of cocktail meatballs or chili to the male-hosted game and the players fell on it like starving lions. That made me feel good, but unless everyone contributed to the food pool, I don't think I should be the one to provide if I'm not the host.

I was looking over on that homepoker site and they had ideas and a few nice recipes for feeding your guest, so is having food ready the norm or unusual?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Food at home games

At my games, my wife cooks or we order pizzas or wings.

I crockpotted some chili once, that was cool too.

As for beer.. my fridge is always stocked with Pale Ales and the boys are welcome to bring any other beverages they want.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:32 AM

if you're raking then yes provide food, soda, beer, water etc.

if you're not, then you aren't expected to provide anything
Old 08-15-2007, 08:23 AM

I've been playing with the same group for over three years and it always has been order pizzas and BYOB. Sometimes we do a poltluck and people bring different things, but that its once in a blue moon.

The general rule is that if you're raking you should provide some type of food and beverages. If you're not raking it is not expected.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:35 AM

When my bf and I host, we usually have food and drink, but tell people to bring whatever they want. Some do, some don't. We don't mind. We host only a few times a year, so it is like a little party for us. We do not take a rake of any kind.

I play in Mazzinger's once-a-month tourney, too. Always BYOB, but the host keeps leftover beer, etc., on a shelf that is help yourself. Sometimes we bring food; sometimes not. Pizza is always an option, but if you eat, you pay.

At the Friday cash game I play in, it's BYOB and BYOGrub. Nothing is provided. No rake, but the host usually ends up with "tips" when someone wins, say, $112 and takes only $110.

I would never expect anything to be provided unless there is some type of rake, but I probably would not play in a home game with a rake.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're raking then yes provide food, soda, beer, water etc.

if you're not, then you aren't expected to provide anything

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I play at and deal a few raked games, food/drink is expected.

In normal home games i like to pool money together either during or before the game to get either pizza or take-out and to get a few six packs.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:59 AM

We do it like that: Every Sunday we play a freeze out, normally 8-12 People. Buyin is 5€, Winner takes it all, but has to organize the next sunday, buy beer and cook for everyone..

So we got a very nice evening with all of my friends, beer and food [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2007, 01:18 PM

I do a monthly tournament with a $15 vig that goes to food and plenty of drink for that week. Usually there's some drink left over for the weekly cash games, but those are mainly BYOB (I provide ice and a cooler). Lately we've been sending someone out to pick up burgers during cash games. I used to provide munchies of various types (crisps and fruit, mostly), but hardly anyone really did much with them and most of them cause gross hands which aren't friendly to cards or chips.

Oh, but I do provide hooch. Bottomless jugs of hooch.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:36 PM

My wife and I host a monthly freeze out and everyone chips in $2 each month for food. We serve 3-4 different kinds of chips/doritos as well as having cheese & cracker platters and veggies and dip. We also provide all the non-alcoholic drinks. Needless to say, the $2/person doesn't come close to covering what we spend but we don't mind - it's just there to help reduce our cost a bit.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:43 PM

I host a monthly 1/2NLHE game. If it's Friday night, I only provide chips/nuts....we order pizza if people need a full dinner. People always BYOB, I set up coolers with ice. But, I always have plenty of beer/water/gatorade in case someone needs some.

If its Saturday night....there will be brats!!!

No rake.