Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: It\'s my gf\'s 21st, help me plan (in NYC)

can i ask why you're so set on midtown?

i feel like i generally have an infinitely better time in the village or the lower east side.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 PM

agreed, midtown kind of sucks.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 PM

Definitely go somewhere downtown like the W, Soho Grand or 60 Thompson. A lot of the good restaurants and lounges are downtown. But midtown is cool if you want to hang out with a lot of families from the Midwest. This is coming from someone who works less than a block from her office.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:51 AM

So when's the big day?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:19 AM

if you're willing to go downtown a bit, the hotel gansevoort has two nice lounge-ish bars and (i've heard) nice rooms also, and having a room there lets you skip the lines at the door, which is nice.

as long as you stay on the west side, being out of midtown should still be convenient to her office.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
mak - PM mrkilla. I'm sure he'd be willing to show your gf a good time around midtown.

[/ QUOTE ]

here here!

mak you can PM NT! I'm sure he will show YOU a good time downtown
Old 07-17-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can i ask why you're so set on midtown?

i feel like i generally have an infinitely better time in the village or the lower east side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he doesn't want to get jacked up in front of his girlfriend by the hipsters or gays?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:16 AM

Here is a real answer

Midtown is ghey, unless you wish to be a tourist and hang around Time Square but no self repsecting NY sets foot in there except for work or to take a train.

Food:
What kind of food do you want to eat, this is important, Dont say anything because you can literally get GD anything in NY so pic a type of food and go with it. You can probably find a place in midtown for this.

Lounge/Bar:
There are scattered places but generally it sucks in midtown. But with that in mind you can try DIP http://newyork.citysearch.com/profil...rk_ny/dip.html
It's a "desert" bar with lots of girlie drinks and chocolate crap, she will love it. Its not really midtown but its a fun place to take a female.

Hotel - Come on Baller , the 4 seasons obv. if you are staying during a week day I bet it would only run you 700 a night or so
Old 07-17-2007, 09:54 AM

This is pretty much an impossible topic to give solid advice on. The one thing that a few people got right:

Why Midtown? It's so tacky and touristy. If you must stay in Midtown, maybe try to find a hotel on the east side, away from Times Square and everything.

As far as restaurants and lounges/bars: The possibilities are almost endless in Manhattan. What would be much more valuable to you is if you were to do your own research, come back with a few ideas, and people can tell you if they're horrible.

But on the restaurant tip, I recommend Kurio. But it's not in Midtown. It's on 92nd and 1st, I think, and it's a really small and elegant spot. Look it up...
Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 PM

completely agree with the other poster about "maybe" seeing her friends that night. you only get one 21st bday and maybe a dinner/club isnt what she wants but nothing wrong with dinner for 2 then meeting her friends at some collegy bar for drinks/shots/fun music. you could also get that hotel room for the following night instead because she would be beat after work the next day and might want to come straight home, nap, get late dinner, then sleep. if i were you id just ask her again and say you felt like her friends would want to celebrate with her and see what she says.

as far as hotels if you want midtown the W is pretty trendy and semi nice (i would avoid times sq one) and i would highly recommend getting a suite at tribeca grand if you are willing to get out of midtown because it has a great hotel bar and good scene in general. you could get a pretty badass room for 400-500 bucks.

tc