Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 03-26-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Joe Theismann Out, Ron Jaworski In?

Hi Joe, meet LT

I mean, if we are gonna have a hate fest lets do it right.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:10 PM

good news, jaws will improve this a lot...
Old 03-26-2007, 02:15 PM

I'll be the lone dissenter here. I liked Theismann. Kornheiser basically makes MNF unwatchable for me. He is that big of a douchebag.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually prefer 3 man booths, especially when a game gets out of hand or is just boring. I liked Gifford/Cosell/Meredith back in the day on MNF, and the presence of Patrick and Maguire made Theismann more tolerable. Tirico and Kornheiser didn't do as much to mitigate Theismann's natural doucheiness; that coupled with the rave reviews of Jaworski after the first game last season made this move happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first trio is legit. Your second point doesn't favor a trio, it's just about how douchey Theismann was. The thing with a 3-man booth is that chemistry is so important. It takes a really strong dynamic to work. Otherwise it's too many cooks in the kitchen. The Gifford/Cossell/Meredith booth set such a precedent that MNF keeps going for a 3 man booth, when really a solid 2 man booth is probably a better option.

If they got Vermeill instead of Kornheiser, I think it'd work as a 3 man booth. Tony as the 3rd guy is just useless.

My main point is my wish that the 3 man booth trend will slow down. MNF has a precedent, so whatever with them, but look at the other sports. Baseball playoffs, NBA playoffs; all about the 3 man booths. Already ESPN covers basketball games with a 3 man booth of Tirico, Walton, and Barry. Barry is just AWFUL in these broadcasts. Really bad. Compare that to TNTs broadcast team of Albert and Kerr, which is awesome. They'll sometimes go 3-deep by adding Doug Collins, who fits in fine. Their second broadcast team is Harlan and Collins, another good duo. When Reggie Miller sits in as a 3rd it weakens it, but luckily Miller knows when to keep quiet, so it's OK.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM

Theismann's boring and Jaworski is a great replacement. Kornheiser is great and will be much more enjoyable in a MNF role if Jaws is there, even to those who think he's no good.

The real problem here is that some of these posters are probably doing fist-pumps at their PC when they read this. You sad, sad human beings.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:10 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the broadcasters at all? I mean, sure they say stupid stuff every now and then, but its tough to talk for 3 hours straight without making mistakes. I've never once had my experience lessened due to a poor announcer. But I feel as if I'm probably alone on this.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:50 PM

Just saw link on Yahoo. This is friggin awesome, however I will miss making fun of him. As long as they don't replace Joe Morgan I guess we'll be ok.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I actually prefer 3 man booths, especially when a game gets out of hand or is just boring. I liked Gifford/Cosell/Meredith back in the day on MNF, and the presence of Patrick and Maguire made Theismann more tolerable. Tirico and Kornheiser didn't do as much to mitigate Theismann's natural doucheiness; that coupled with the rave reviews of Jaworski after the first game last season made this move happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first trio is legit. Your second point doesn't favor a trio, it's just about how douchey Theismann was. The thing with a 3-man booth is that chemistry is so important. It takes a really strong dynamic to work. Otherwise it's too many cooks in the kitchen. The Gifford/Cossell/Meredith booth set such a precedent that MNF keeps going for a 3 man booth, when really a solid 2 man booth is probably a better option.

If they got Vermeill instead of Kornheiser, I think it'd work as a 3 man booth. Tony as the 3rd guy is just useless.

My main point is my wish that the 3 man booth trend will slow down. MNF has a precedent, so whatever with them, but look at the other sports. Baseball playoffs, NBA playoffs; all about the 3 man booths. Already ESPN covers basketball games with a 3 man booth of Tirico, Walton, and Barry. Barry is just AWFUL in these broadcasts. Really bad. Compare that to TNTs broadcast team of Albert and Kerr, which is awesome. They'll sometimes go 3-deep by adding Doug Collins, who fits in fine. Their second broadcast team is Harlan and Collins, another good duo. When Reggie Miller sits in as a 3rd it weakens it, but luckily Miller knows when to keep quiet, so it's OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

kid - MNF went to the two-man a few years ago with Al Michaels and Boomer, and it sucked. Meanwhile, CBS had an Aikman/Moose Johnston/Dick Stockton booth that was excellent.

I don't think the 3-man booth is so much the problem as is the personalities involved in it. Having two commentators with personal history (Vermeil/Jaworski, Aikman/Moose) who are friends along with a straight PBP guy is pretty informative and entertaining, IMO.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The real problem here is that some of these posters are probably doing fist-pumps at their PC when they read this. You sad, sad human beings.

[/ QUOTE ]
Guilty as charged. And I assume all other fans of tolerable football commentary did a fist pump at this news as well.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:06 PM

Hopefully these 3 can find a few days to re-announce some taped games and build a little chemistry.