Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will the result be (US listed first)
0-0 1 1.14%
1-1 16 18.18%
2-2 3 3.41%
3-3 0 0%
1-0 7 7.95%
2-0 1 1.14%
2-1 11 12.50%
3-0 4 4.55%
3-1 1 1.14%
3-2 0 0%
0-1 4 4.55%
0-2 9 10.23%
1-2 10 11.36%
0-3 18 20.45%
1-3 3 3.41%
2-3 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Best WrestleMania Of All Time

I have missed a few of the latest ones so my opinion may be skewered but for me its WM2000. From top to bottom a near perfect show with a show stopping ME with possibly the most shocking WM ending ever up until that point (Perhaps save Warrior winning).
Old 02-21-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Best WrestleMania Of All Time

I haven't seen 21 or 22, but from what I've heard, they weren't so great.

For me, it comes down to III, VI, VIII, X, and X-Seven. I didn't like your choice of Wrestlemania 2000 because it was too gimicky. I believe (correct me if wrong) that there were ZERO 1 on 1 matches. Triple threats, and fatal four ways don't have the same appeal as a 1 on 1, at least in my mind.

III is probably the most storied Wreslemania of all time. It has Hogan/Andre, Savage/Steamboat, and an atmosphere that will never be matched again in a PPV. As a gigantic Hogan fan (as was most of the wrestling population) Andre seemed to finally be the one guy he wouldn't be able to beat (especially when you are still young enough to think it's real). Andre turning heel for this match was about as suprising as it gets, considering he had been a face for a decade. Anyways, the actual match sucked from a wrestling standpoint, but hell... it's just Hogan/Andre. Savage/Steamboat is the real reason you need to see this event. This match, with the hundreds of nearfalls, set the stage for what future mainevents would be. The main problem with this card was the 4 minute matches that were in extreme abundance. Nevertheless, for a historical breath of fresh air in what professional wrestling used to be like, Wreslemania III is the best example.

VI was all about Hogan/Warrior. Suprisingly, they managed to put together a solid match. Actually, now that I think about this show a little more, I'm realizing it doesn't have anything else great about it. Hogan/Warrior is a great match, but it is the best match on the card. When Terry Bollea and Jim Hellwig are having the best match of the day, you know the rest of the show has to suck. Let's move on then...

VIII was the second to last "Hogan Era" Wrestlemania, and is probably the best from a wrestling standpoint. Hogan/Sid sucked balls, but it is famous for having the most suprising finish in Wrestlemania history. The Ultimate Warrior, the #2 face in the company, had been away from the company for what should have been forever considering he was fired, returned to save Hogan from a Papa Shango beatdown (LOL). Absolutely no one saw this coming. It didn't even seem possible. As for the matches themselves, Bret Hart had his first classic Wrestlemania match here, by defeating Piper for the IC gold. Savage/Flair was another classic.

Actually, I need to stop thinking right now. The winner is VIII. X had two excellent matches in Owen/Bret and Michales/Ramon, but the rest was trash. I was not a fan of the 1993 WWF card, but Vince did a good job with the crap he had. X-Seven had the best roster the WWF will ever have, and it was executed very well. TLC II stole the show, with excellent spot after excellent spot. I could've lived without the interference though. Austin/Rock... not much that hasn't been said about this matchup. Just amazing between these two. Benoit/Angle was solid. I enjoyed the Harcore win by Kane too. Hmn... Undertaker over Triple H wasn't so bad either. Ok, looks like X-Seven is the new winner for best Wrestlemania ever. VIII comes in at a close #2. X-Seven was the best because it fixed all the problems that 2000 created. Instead of having a bunch of triple threat matches, seven of these were 1 on 1. Overall, X-Seven is what the WW(I can't say E as I've never been a fan of the product since it got the new name)F should strive towards. Strong feuds culminating at Wrestlemania with great matches. That is what the company should be all about.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:18 PM

I agree with most the above post.

I didn't like WM 16(2000) because of the lack of 1 on 1 matches. The main event should have been Rock-HHH not a four way match. WM 16 was one the recent WM's were they actually used it to build toward the next PPV (backlash) and that should never happen with a WM. WM needs to be the culmination.

I also agree WM 17 is the best. This is one of the best PPV's I've ever seen. It was strong from top to bottom. It alot of ways I really think this PPV was the pinnacle of the "attitude era" and the late 90's wrestling boom. The main event was incredible. The undercard matches were great. All the matches were well built up and had that "big match feel" to them that I think is missing from some of the more recent wrestlemania's. I also loved how they went back to big arenas for WM17-19. I'm not sure if they could fill one up now but it makes it special as opposed to having WM in the same 16,000 seat arena that hosts RAW 3-4 times a year.

I also really liked 3,8,14,19
Old 02-21-2007, 03:45 PM

I really liked X. I might be biased because it was the first I saw, but I thought the card was pretty good for the talent, and the Bret/Owen storyline was one of the best the WWF has ever had. I remember being young and absolutely hating Owen Hart, which is what made him a great heel.

X-Seven (the name drives me nuts) is good too. Great talent, but it really was the beginning of the end
Old 02-21-2007, 05:53 PM

X was great for Bret/Owen and Michales/Ramon, but you would be hard pressed to find anything else of worth. Bret regaining the belt at the end, with Owen staring him down was a great moment, but the Yoko/Luger and Yoko/Bret matches were not memorable. It is a great show, easily in my top 5, but it needed a better main event in order to bump it up to #1. Certainly had some great moments though.

Personally, I prefer the Owen/Bret cage match for the title at Summerslam of that year. If you haven't seen it, here is a link: http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/searc...hart-steel-cage
Old 02-21-2007, 07:11 PM

Hard to go against 17. Also, 8 mostly for sentimental value as a kid.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:31 PM

X-Seven is one of the few i have not seen so i must check it out. I've read it signaled the end of the Attitude Era, so i suppose its a landmark either way.

How does XX stack up for you guys? Thats the last one i saw that i really liked.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:27 PM

I voted for 10 mainly for owen v bret an hbk v razor. It was close bwetween 10, 3, and 12. 12 was hurt by only having 6 matches and 3 of them were just throw away matches but bret v shawn, goldust v piper, and UT v deisel were very good. If you think about it there really isn't a WM that is awesome top to bottem most have 2-3 great matches throughout the show.

I recently got the WM Anthology and I'm currently only on WM 4. but up to this point I think the best match so far is from WM 3 Adonis v Piper, this match was so great, I hardly ever here anything about it, when people talk about WM 3 you think of Savage/Steamboat and Hogan/Andre, they wre great but I think Piper/Adonis was the best on that card.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, I prefer the Owen/Bret cage match for the title at Summerslam of that year. If you haven't seen it, here is a link: http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/searc...hart-steel-cage

[/ QUOTE ]

That cage match is probably my favorite of all time. That was teh first PPV I saw live and I remember a friend "buying"(Im fairly certain he had a hotbox) it just to watch it with me cause another friend [censored] me over.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
X-Seven is one of the few i have not seen so i must check it out. I've read it signaled the end of the Attitude Era, so i suppose its a landmark either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the end of the Attitude Era had more to do with WCW going out of business. To a lesser extent, Stone Cold turning heel changed the feel of the WWF.