Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Stars 114 bubble, resteal from bb with T5s?

cash game player playing a couple sit and gos as a break. is a push here expert or spew?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t725)
SB (t3810)
Hero (t5670)
UTG (t3295)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t825</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, hero?

edit: no real read. he's played fine but this is our first sit and go together.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Stars 114 bubble, resteal from bb with T5s?

Does a cash game player know he needs to fold because of button's stack? I'm thinking probably not.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does a cash game player know he needs to fold because of button's stack? I'm thinking probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that same logic, UTG should fold nearly every hand except for KK-AA when you re-steal.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well doesn't UTG need to fold to my reraise cause of button's stack? that's obviously the whole point of the question.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With that same logic, UTG should fold nearly every hand except for KK-AA when you re-steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is the range i figured. but i doubt i can trust an unknown to make it that narrow.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well doesn't UTG need to fold to my reraise cause of button's stack? that's obviously the whole point of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's new to SnGs he probably thinks his AQs/AKo is too pretty to fold.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:08 PM

The majority of players would not fold AQ/AK/JJ to your re-steal. I agree there.

But why would UTG raise a little more than 4x the BB here, just a little more than enough to put BTN all-in? He really wants to isolate him. I think there's a good chance UTG did this raise with intention of folding to a push.

I almost NEVER do re-steals though, and I'd let this one go.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:16 PM

Restealing here is overrated. However, when they do a big raise like this there's not much better time to do it. I know I just totally contradicted myself but unless he's been active, just fold.

Ryan
Old 11-03-2006, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Restealing here is overrated. However, when they do a big raise like this there's not much better time to do it. I know I just totally contradicted myself but unless he's been active, just fold.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

what range do you think is raising and what range is a reasonable (not great but not bad) player calling with, in your opinion?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

what range do you think is raising and what range is a reasonable (not great but not bad) player calling with, in your opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't ICMed it but it looks like he has to be about 63-64% to win to make this call. So that would mean that he should call with like QQ+ and AK. I dunno my math might not be right and it depends on what you are doing this with (like JJ may be a call depending on how often you have an overcard). I'll do an ICM when I'm done with this SNG b/c I'm curious now.

I haven't had much luck with this play so I have all but taken out of the playbook (when I do it, it is usually BVB though). This could be a good spot for it but the one downside is that your hand kinda sucks. I would feel better about it with a hand like 87s then T5s.

He is at 24.9% if he folds and 37.5% if he calls and wins. So he would have to drag this thing 66.4% of the time. That means that AK is out of the question and leaves calling with (probably) QQ+ as the correct play.