CourtsideTimes.net
Baseball Primer
Football Outsiders
Old 01-28-2006, 07:22 PM

Default Re: What\'s in your RSS Reader?

what?
Old 01-28-2006, 07:30 PM

RSS is basically a system of delivering website content to you without you having to go to the site.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:32 PM

I got AP top sports news, Yahoo sports news, a few google news, realfootball365 nfl news, and bbc news. Yours are much better, I'm going to steal some.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RSS is basically a system of delivering website content to you without you having to go to the site.

[/ QUOTE ]

can i just google it and its self explanatory?
Old 01-28-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

can i just google it and its self explanatory?

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be able to. A lot of sites have RSS feeds that allow you to display a lot of information in one place. So on my google homepage, I have my netflix queue, slashdot, and other news feeds.

You can even use new Tivo features to display RSS feeds directly on your tivo.

Pretty useful stuff.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:52 PM

from wikipedia:

[ QUOTE ]
RSS is widely used by the weblog community to share the latest entries' headlines or their full text, and even attached multimedia files. (See podcasting, vodcasting, broadcasting, screencasting, Vloging, and MP3 blogs.) In mid 2000, use of RSS spread to many of the major news organizations, including Reuters, CNN, and the BBC. These providers allow other websites to incorporate their "syndicated" headline or headline-and-short-summary feeds under various usage agreements. RSS is now used for many purposes, including marketing, bug-reports, or any other activity involving periodic updates or publications.

A program known as a feed reader or aggregator can check RSS-enabled webpages on behalf of a user and display any updated articles that it finds. It is now common to find RSS feeds on major Web sites, as well as many smaller ones.

Client-side readers and aggregators are typically constructed as standalone programs or extensions to existing programs like web browsers. Such programs are available for various operating systems. See list of news aggregators.

Web-based feed readers and news aggregators require no software installation and make the user's "feeds" available on any computer with Web access. Some aggregators syndicate (combine) RSS feeds into new feeds, e.g. take all football related items from several sports feeds and provide a new football feed. There are also search engines for content published via RSS feeds like Feedster or Blogdigger.

On Web pages, RSS feeds are typically linked with an orange rectangle optionally with the letters XML or RSS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mozilla Thunderbird functions as an RSS Reader, as does Google Desktop. You can get extensions for Firefox for it, or use different websites such as your personalized google webpage. You can also download standalone programs like GreatNews
Old 01-28-2006, 07:53 PM

I use GreatNews 'cause it's portable. That way whenever I go anywhere I have access to a computer I have everything I need on my usb stick (firefox, gaim, rss reader, password safe, audio player, and some games).
Old 01-28-2006, 08:15 PM

I looked into RSS a couple years ago - I guess I didn't find it that useful, although never really tried it out very long.

How is it better than just having multiple tabs in your Firefox browser?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:21 PM

? they're totally different things. it's a notification service everytime something new is posted to a website.

think about it like this - do you have notification for your email or do you just check your email like every 30 minutes?