Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 09-04-2006, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Virgin Spring

Finally got my copy of this and watched yesterday. Whoa, this is kind of an intense film. Not what I was expecting.

I thought the camera-work in this film was great. The way the director shows the quietude of the farm and meadows is beautifully done and you can just sense that something very bad is coming. Some of those scenes are going to stay with me for a long time (those close-ups of poor Karin). I can see why Bergman is considered a great filmmaker. When the 2 goat herders first appear you just get a sick feeling. Those two guys are some of the creepiest characters I’ve seen. I haven’t felt that creeped-out since Deliverance.

It had sort of an odd fairy-tale style and the dialogue was minimal and stilted. I didn’t like the dark-haired Ingeri at all. I couldn’t understand why the director allowed her to overact like that. But overall it was a very interesting old film and Max von Sydow was amazing. He was very good at controlled rage.

I thought the final scene was weird. Kind of a bum ending if you ask me.