Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: What`s all part of being a pro?

[ QUOTE ]
Best off riding the poker train as long as you can and worrying about what you want to do in retirement in a couple years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... if you are completely set and focused on making money. I think it can be potentially dangerous to get sucked into a mindset of playing poker and only playing poker, while shutting out other "less currently profitable" ventures. And I'm not really talking about monetarily dangerous. If one were to finish the "poker boom" with $2M in a few years, I'm sure they'll lead a financially stable life whatever they choose to do after poker. But I think alot of people are kidding themselves when they say that they can play poker and only play poker for a few years, and then just jump right back into the workforce/school/investing/etc..

For me, its the person I'm developing into as I earn the money thats important.

That probably didn't make sense or come close to what I was trying to say. But I'll post it anyways for [censored] and giggles.

Back to grinding... heh
Old 11-03-2007, 01:20 PM

Is money the sole reason most of you guys play in the first place? I play because I enjoy the game; the fact that I make a comfortable living doing it is purely a bonus. Obviously, I'd play a lot less if I wasn't making bank but enjoying my "job" and the lifestyle it affords (setting my own hours, no boss, etc.) is great.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:52 PM

the best part about being a pro is going onto 2 + 2 and making stupid posts and giving advice in recallme's threads.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:59 PM

Why don`t yopu like this one? It got some love by other posters
Old 11-03-2007, 07:51 PM

this is an interesting post... i'm one of the players in the 200-500k a year category, and I'm starting to think more about the big picture. I'd be interested in hearing what other people in this situation are doing/planning on doing.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else find it ridiculous that there's some auto assumption that all online players play so over their head that a bad run could be disastrous or even that we are all capable of going broke?

Limon, u are from another time. We are not a crowd iresponsible degenerates anymore. Most high stakes nl players are very smart

[/ QUOTE ]

two years ago i held this assumption and i was dead right. but now i don't, because many pros hit a level they were comfortable at and stayed there.

but i still feel pro players should diversify their income sources. poker is a great rush at first and still fun for a certain number of hours a week. but after a while it becomes a serious grind for most people. that's a huge risk you take as a pro poker player if you don't live below your means or seek out alternate sources of income.

investing and diversifying income sources isn't easy, but it's also not that hard. you don't have to invest a hundred hours to find a decent property, buy a self-service car wash, or start a small company. for example, over one year i spent about 100 hours learning about and buying all my residential rental properties, and finding a good management company. haven't touched it in 2 years. my time output is reading and filing my statement once a month and calling on any problems. it takes 15 minutes in a bad month.

the point is if you're smart and dedicated -- if you can succeed at high-stakes no-limit -- it doesn't take much time to invest or create a business. stop watching tv and you have plenty of time to do whatever you want. just pick something of interest and start reading. use poker as your base and spend just a few hours each week diversifying and investing. just avoid businesses and investments that require lots of your time. in 10 years you can still play poker 40 hours a week if you want to, but you won't have to. and you'll have a different definition of "professional."
Old 11-03-2007, 10:09 PM

Hi Matt,

[ QUOTE ]
over one year i spent about 100 hours learning about and buying all my residential rental properties, and finding a good management company

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive heard alot about how it is impossible to find decent property mananagement companies that are worth the expense, for example how they all supposedly take kickbacks and dont care about your property. is that generally a myth?
Old 11-04-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else find it ridiculous that there's some auto assumption that all online players play so over their head that a bad run could be disastrous or even that we are all capable of going broke?

Limon, u are from another time. We are not a crowd iresponsible degenerates anymore. Most high stakes nl players are very smart

[/ QUOTE ]

does anyone find it ridiculous theres a whole forum (or two)dedicated to online players who play so far over their head that a bad run is disasterous and results in them going broke?

[/ QUOTE ]

you're way off here. the HSNL forum is full of people who are young, playing huge stakes, and in very very little danger of going broke.

unless you're talking about BBV...
Old 11-04-2007, 04:45 AM

RE: people saying poker players are responsible and people should have faith in them. - Yeah, that's what I used to think to, because I managed my money great and it is illogical and very costly to mismanage when so much time and money is involved in poker. However notwithstanding this fact, most poker players actually are just degenerate fools. For example, consider how few players have been at high stakes for a long time period, very few. Most pop on and off the scene.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does anyone find it ridiculous theres a whole forum (or two)dedicated to online players who play so far over their head that a bad run is disasterous and results in them going broke?

[/ QUOTE ]

you're way off here. the HSNL forum is full of people who are young, playing huge stakes, and in very very little danger of going broke.

unless you're talking about BBV...

[/ QUOTE ]

you definitely underestimate the risk of ruin.