Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Andrew Vachs\' Burke novels

Just finished the latest Burke novel, Terminal. Better than some of the previous few, imho. Burke is still serious cat, everyone is still amazingly good at what they do, but there is more depth in the supporting characters in this one, and some character evolution is hinted at for the main players. The little diversions he puts in for local colour work well in this one too, and he's still very well-researched. Worth a go if you're a fan.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dom- assuming you've read them how would these compare to weither Robert Parker's Chandler knock off Spenser, or Jonathan Lethem's motherless brooklyn and Gun, with occassional music?

I really liked Lethem's stuff and Enjoyed Parker, but was wondedring whether these were comparable or stronger..

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know Lethem's, but I love both the Spenser and Burke books. I'd say Parker is the better writer.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just finished the latest Burke novel, Terminal. Better than some of the previous few, imho. Burke is still serious cat, everyone is still amazingly good at what they do, but there is more depth in the supporting characters in this one, and some character evolution is hinted at for the main players. The little diversions he puts in for local colour work well in this one too, and he's still very well-researched. Worth a go if you're a fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have this one yet! I must rectify that immediately.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:30 AM

There's a change in narrative technique (I'm trying not to spoil anything here) in this one. It only happens in two or three places, but it sticks out like a sore thumb. It has some positive and some negative impacts for me, and I'm still up in the air about whether I like it or not, but I'd be interested in why you think he did it.