Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 10-27-2007, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Playing Setup and Health

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]full tilt shortcuts
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]comfortable ergonomic chair that has back support and forces you to sit up straight.
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]take breaks every hour and do jumping jacks, or take a quick jog around the block. (if i am playing 2 hours straight i stop every hour for 2-3 minutes - then get back to it if i have time)
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]mousepad with gel wrist-pad can be good.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]wrist pad for keyboard also good.
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]look away from monitor at something far away as often as possible, doing this on break helps also. (have not tried this)
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]I do some yoga too which helps to relax for life in general and step back from the immediacy of daily life
Old 10-27-2007, 08:09 AM

A good chair is a must for me as I have a bad back. I would also say that having a good balance between poker and life in general is the right way to approach it. I know how easy a 2 hour online session turns into a 4-5 hour session and very heavy eyelids the next day.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:13 AM

I've been searching for a new desk for a while now and didn't realize it would be so difficult. First, many desks have that monitor "shelf" that's basically worthless since any LCD with a stand is now higher than eye level and constantly looking upward will cause neck pain over time.

Second, most desks if they have a keyboard/mouse shelf at all, are still too high to use comfortably. The only way to get your arm at a height that doesn't contribute to shoulder pain is to crank your chair up so high your legs barely reach the floor (and I'm 6'1").

If anyone knows of a place that sells a good ergonomic desk, please let me know. At this point I'm about to take a stab at building one on my own.

As far as ergonomic mice are concerned, 3M makes one that looks rather odd as you are twisting your arm into the more natural handshake position in order to use it. I'm haven't tried it but people who use it seem to like it.

Also, a lot of people like this Evoluent mouse.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:27 AM

I just bought a logtech mouse, my ball is on the top, so I can use either hand. Id definitely recommend that. Someone once recommended the "evoluent vertical mouse"
Im planning on ordering that next and plan on rotating different mouse.
My chair sucks!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:30 AM

recommend comfortable chairs. I want to buy new one and probably doing that tommorow. Any recommends, guidelines?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:20 AM

i need a good desk chair. i'm sitting in a crappy one now. my setup isn't all that clean and i'm using a folding table, not even a real desk.

one thing i recommend is getting out and exercising! do a session in the morning, then go work out, then shower and play again. i just feel better, i feel like i'm healthy. it gives me a positive mindset about life in general and that translates to better play at the table. when you feel good about yourself and what you've accomplished for the day, it's harder to tilt from bad beats.

i dislike working out personally, but i enjoy playing tennis. that's something i try to do several times a week.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Monitors are very important and correct lighting.

I am sure most serious players have LCD flat screens, but if anyone is still playing with CRT screens, you really need to invest in an LCD flat screen because the flicker/ refresh of CRT screens really strain your eyes.

Reagrdless of what kind of screen you use. Take an "eye break" every hour or so, and focus on something far away in the distance, then close, then far etc.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:58 PM

These chairs are good, it's what I use. Also ask on the internet forum, those guys know there stuff.

Aeron Chairs
Old 10-27-2007, 01:10 PM

I have a large table for a desk and use a recliner with attatched appliance wheels for a chair. I can sit in this thing for 12hrs easy with a 5min break for bathroom/ice/etc. I have had this set up for 4yrs and havent had any physical effects from it, Must be good then.

For eye strain, I keep the brightness level real low (18/100) so my eyes never really bother me.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Any1 try out a bungee cord chair?