Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-16-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: New Job Question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its not an "easy" job to get. I am the Assistant Store Manager in charge of Electronics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but I honestly laughed a solid 25 seconds after reading this.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? You probably need to get out more and interact with people.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:35 AM

A 3+ hour commute each day is ridiculous. Let them know your concerns in a stern and direct manner, say the least they can do is reimburse you for the gas.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:55 AM

you are giving up a good chunk of your pay every day to commute, between the time and the gas. i would guess between 10 and 20 percent but i don't really know what you make.

so i would go to the HR guy or whomever and say, "look, this commute you just sprang on me basically sums up to a 15% paycut. here, i did the math. this is not what i agreed to, and it's not a good sign that you would do something like this to me in the first week i'm here."

but then again major retail outlets pretty much always screw all their employees, so this is basically what you should expect.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 AM

You should be on the clock for extra driving you have to do (sounds like about 2.5 hours per day) and you should get $0.485/mile for driving. If you are salary, you should be able to negotiate a $500 bonus or so to cover the extra time, but still get the mileage.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Yea i am going to have to say something today. 4 Hours of driving both days and almost 40 bucks on gas split between both days, this is crazy.

Anyone have any advice on how to phrase this? Is NT's wording the best? I like the people in my store, and i do want to keep the job, so i guess i have to tread somewhat lightly. The SM of my store was very keen on me getting the right training.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:57 AM

You are in a difficult situation. In a new position you surely do not want your immediate boss to think you are going to be difficult to work with on every issue in the future.

This one should be pretty simple though. Just mention that you understand the training you need is at this alternate location. Then ask what the store policy is on compensation for the long commute? Will you be able to use a company vehicle or do you turn in mileage if using your personal vehicle?

When bringing up issues like this I find it best to offer solutions in your question. It keeps you from sounding negative. Makes you sound like a problem solver.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:07 PM

I would go into it asking if there is any other store that is closer to your house that you can go to for the remaining of the training period. Explain the extra time and gas it is costing you to train at the Garden City store.

If there isn't any other option for a store, tell them you want to be a team player and ask if there is anyway they can reimburse you for part of the commute costs - either mileage $ or paid time off as compensation (assuming you are not strict commission based pay).
Old 10-18-2007, 12:18 PM

I have a set salary. I've only done 2 days so far, so the gas mileage thing sounds like a good idea.