Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: This Really Bothers Me

Okay, I'll keep that reply in mind.

I didn't know, and it has never been mentioned even in the books I've read, that the bigger chips should be in front. Well, first, I never have that many big chips. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Then, at these bar MTTs we have the table tops with the built-in racks, so I usually just leave mine in them. And even the more experienced players never stack their large chips in front. In fact, I've heard/read that one should have their big chips on the bottom, so this is certainly new information.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:21 PM

Other players definitely have the right to know. I asked someguy in a sng (I was in sb, he was bb and shortstacked) and I wanted to put him all in. Another guy had just called the blind, so I wanted to raise enough to put bb all in if he decided to call and let the other caller decide if he wanted to call the raise. BB had a fit, accused me of trying to "embarrass" him. Not my intent at all. Another guy at the table spoke up on my behalf, I just wanted to remain quiet and get the count. An argument ensued between them, and the whole thing was completely unnecessary. If someone asks for a count from me, I just give it. Its part of the game.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:39 PM

knowing stack sizes is very important for making future decisions in NL , do i have implied odds? , if i raise , do i commit opp to a hand ? etc etc ,,,just let the dealer count the chips and dont worry about it ...
Old 08-12-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Other players definitely have the right to know. I asked someguy in a sng (I was in sb, he was bb and shortstacked) and I wanted to put him all in. Another guy had just called the blind, so I wanted to raise enough to put bb all in if he decided to call and let the other caller decide if he wanted to call the raise. BB had a fit, accused me of trying to "embarrass" him. Not my intent at all. Another guy at the table spoke up on my behalf, I just wanted to remain quiet and get the count. An argument ensued between them, and the whole thing was completely unnecessary. If someone asks for a count from me, I just give it. Its part of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one, altho it doesn't embarass me.

But, in future I will try to accept this question with good grace even tho I'll never agree with it.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one, altho it doesn't embarass me.

But, in future I will try to accept this question with good grace even tho I'll never agree with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you should get in the habit of asking other people what they have when you're considering a decision that revolves around pot odds or implied odds. If you do it when you need it, then you won't mind when others do it to you.

If you're never asking, then you might not be considering stack sizes as often and as carefully as you should for NL games.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, you should get in the habit of asking other people what they have when you're considering a decision that revolves around pot odds or implied odds. If you do it when you need it, then you won't mind when others do it to you.

If you're never asking, then you might not be considering stack sizes as often and as carefully as you should for NL games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand this, but if I were sitting up there with substantial stacks, too then I ken the reason for asking and would comply, but if a big stack asks me, with my one little half-sized stack that I'm hanging on to for dear life, well, there's where it ticks me off. And I know, if my stack is that small then I should be all in anyway, but at the time I wasn't ready with the hand I had.

As it is, in the next hand my opponent went all in again, I folded, the third player who was the big stack, called him and won with a set. In HU play against him I lost, dutifully going all in with my A-rag against his A-bigger rag.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I know, if my stack is that small then I should be all in anyway, but at the time I wasn't ready with the hand I had.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I wouldn't say that with a small stack you should be all-in anyway. I would just say that you should be willing to let the dealer give out info that, by the rules of the game, she's obligated to give out. If this tilts you, I strongly suggest you stick to fixed-limit games.