Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Bush on homeland security

the borders are never going to be 'secure' I don't care who is president. We have thousands of miles of both land and sea borders and with international trade, shipments coming and going constantly, any 'security' you think there is to be had is an illusion.

People fear monger to get you focused on 'security' so they can take your rights away (which increases their power and control). Don't fall for it, you deserve better.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the borders are never going to be 'secure' I don't care who is president. We have thousands of miles of both land and sea borders and with international trade, shipments coming and going constantly, any 'security' you think there is to be had is an illusion.

People fear monger to get you focused on 'security' so they can take your rights away (which increases their power and control). Don't fall for it, you deserve better.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point.

"The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened". - Josef Stalin

"Every ambitious would-be empire, clarions it abroad that she is conquering the world to bring it peace, security and freedom, and is sacrificing her sons only for the most noble and humanitarian purposes. That is a lie, and it is an ancient lie, yet generations still rise and believe it." - Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What grade would you give Bush on homeland security, and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not good, probably a D. I disagree with a lot of his policies, but I have come to the conclusion that the concept of a department of homeland security is a good one insofar as intelligence is more readily shared and there is a clear department to blame when things get screwed up with regard to security (as opposed to the various departments shifting the blame.)

Airport security is better though could be much better

Afghanistan wasn't horribly handled.

In terms of foreign relations generally (directly related to security, IMO) I think this administration has been horrible, at best.