Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 09:34 AM

Default Re: How to Meditate.

Thanks, last question. Whould/Could/Should you do this while on any kind of Drugs (Anything intoxicating, cold medz, pain killers, pot, alchol etc etc)
Old 04-18-2006, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, last question. Whould/Could/Should you do this while on any kind of Drugs (Anything intoxicating, cold medz, pain killers, pot, alchol etc etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything particular you have in mind?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:41 AM

More of a general question, but more specifically marijuana. Like does it in hance the effect or dampen it? Is it more of how the drug effects you?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:53 AM

meditation can be many things including all three of the things you said it wasn't.

[ QUOTE ]
Meditation is the act of stilling your mind, of ceasing to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

it can be but doesn't have to be.

my favorite way to describe meditation is it's a tool for changing the habitual patterns of mind.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
meditation can be many things including all three of the things you said it wasn't.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my favorite way to describe meditation is it's a tool for changing the habitual patterns of mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised that this took so long. This thread is not for philosophical discussion on what meditation is or isn't. That sort of highbrow arguement is exactly the sort of thing that turns people off meditation. There is also another forum for it. So if you want, you can post a thread there and I'll duely get stuck into you.
I posted this thread as a response to others to help them to learn how to meditate and to help them along with any practical questions and problems that arise. Nothing more.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised that this took so long. This thread is not for philosophical discussion on what meditation is or isn't. That sort of highbrow arguement is exactly the sort of thing that turns people off meditation. There is also another forum for it. So if you want, you can post a thread there and I'll duely get stuck into you.
I posted this thread as a response to others to help them to learn how to meditate and to help them along with any practical questions and problems that arise. Nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]

just adding my two cents brother. it wasn't meant as a personal attack.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:35 PM

Hey adsman thanks for the thread, a few questions. I've tried meditating two ways, one where I just focus on my breathing, and then also qigong. I think it's called 'microcosmic' qigong, breathing in focus on a spot on lower back, and breathing out focus on 'dantian' spot near stomach and feel energy flow up and down legs to and from those points. I can feel it in my stomach and moving in my legs but not my lower back, thoughts? Also what is the energy, bio electricity I read somewhere has any research been done on how this stuff works? Does it really matter which meditation I do? they both seem like the same thing on relaxing the mind.

What are your experiences with meditation? A lot of the time when I meditate I just get tired/sleepy/bored a friend said that she and her mom can't meditate before bed because they'll have too much energy and can't sleep how do I get to that point? Can you go a full 20 minutes without thoughts arising? How much has meditation affected your calmness and daily attitude in life?
Old 04-18-2006, 02:56 PM

I meditate with my eyes closed mainly I find that easier, but maybe that's part of what makes me sleepy, thoughts? Also, what impressive abilities have you seen good meditators have?
Old 04-18-2006, 03:02 PM

there are a few techniques for dealing with sleepiness. off the top of my head i can think of imagining the color red and thinking of something that makes you angry. i know there is a certain visualization that works but i don't remember it.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you go a full 20 minutes without thoughts arising?

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't want to try to suppress your thoughts. they're going to come. when thoughts come you should recognize them but don't give them any energy and just let them go on their way, back to where they came from. the main thing is just to stay aware of everything.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:35 PM

Good to see you back,

[ QUOTE ]
Hey adsman thanks for the thread, a few questions. I've tried meditating two ways, one where I just focus on my breathing, and then also qigong. I think it's called 'microcosmic' qigong, breathing in focus on a spot on lower back, and breathing out focus on 'dantian' spot near stomach and feel energy flow up and down legs to and from those points. I can feel it in my stomach and moving in my legs but not my lower back, thoughts? Also what is the energy, bio electricity I read somewhere has any research been done on how this stuff works?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of these two terms. The energy that you're referring to is known as kundalini energy. It can be quite powerful indeed. There is a meditation technique where you move this energy around your body. The points where you can feel it spark are your naval and the roof of your mouth. You need to keep your tounge pressed against the roof of your mouth for this to happen.

[ QUOTE ]

Does it really matter which meditation I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do whichever one works best for you. When I runa course I give out 4 different techniques. People go with the one that they are comfortable with.

[ QUOTE ]
they both seem like the same thing on relaxing the mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meditation is not about relaxing the mind. It's about giving yourself a break from your mind.

[ QUOTE ]
What are your experiences with meditation? A lot of the time when I meditate I just get tired/sleepy/bored a friend said that she and her mom can't meditate before bed because they'll have too much energy and can't sleep how do I get to that point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stay alert while meditating. You need to be aware. Also, make sure that you're not meditating close to your bed. This can induce sleep patterns.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you go a full 20 minutes without thoughts arising?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish. 5 minutes is my record.

[ QUOTE ]
How much has meditation affected your calmness and daily attitude in life?

[/ QUOTE ]

I become very quiet and calm. I am a very good listener, in the sense that I really listen, I'm not working out what I want to say while the other person is speaking. I see the world from a detached viewpoint. I tend not to get emotionally tied up in things that are happening to me. It's much easier to see a clear decision, as if I were giving advice to a friend.
Also, things tend to drop into my lap when I need them. That's the syncronicity thing I was talking about earlier in the thread.