Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: RB (Choose 2)
Portis (@Houston) 17 48.57%
Kevin Jones (GB) 8 22.86%
Fred Taylor (@Ind) 9 25.71%
R. Droughns (Balt) 0 0%
D. McAllister (Atl) 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: P5\'s top donk-n-go player is going pro

[ QUOTE ]
40% ROI over 11k sngs something which noone has ever done to the best of my knowledge

[/ QUOTE ]

Gigallahraptojesus did it.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jenn,
I thought you quit your job as a teacher to play sngs. Since I assumed going pro meant your only profession that makes a lot more sense. As others have said be prepared to run bad getting the roi you achieved solely at turbos requires running really good and is not sustainable. If you believe it is sustainable I would make a propbet for any sum of money you cannot keep your ROI over 30% over 1k turbos. I believe you lost the documents and don't think you are trying to mislead me, but several poker players have miscounted there results before and when your results include a 40% ROI over 11k sngs something which noone has ever done to the best of my knowledge I have reason to be skeptical.

[/ QUOTE ]
TY pudge [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I feel a lot better now, because as I mentioned, I respect your game greatly. I certainly understand your skepticism. I'd be an idiot not to understand that. I would have gladly taken your 30% prop bet last year, but not anymore, as I believe post-UIGEA, I would be about a 15-1 underdog to achieve 30%+ ROI over my next 1000 $12 turbos. I think the cap is somewhere around 25-28%, and my results would be worse than that because I'm not a perfect player, so I think I could acheive 21-24% only, which is truly a great number and about the most anyone could acheive in my opinion. (I would have taken this bet only if the ROI required was 20% and I was still planning on playing only $12 SNGs, which I'm not.) I definitely didn't lose any documents, I just never kept anything more than records in a notebook until August 2006. I stumbled into this gig by accident almost. In Aug 2002, I started playing with playchips on UB, and never intended to play for real money. I won a few dollars in a jackpot and never looked back. Trust me, back then the $5.50 SNGs were very very easy to beat, as easy as the $1.10s are now. Playing 1-2 at a time was easy. That's the biggest reason for these inflated numbers. I would be happy to sustain 14% in the $33s over a long period of time, and I certainly understand what ROI is, and the nature of the beast that is variance. I've won 9 in a row, and failed to cash in as many as 17 in a row once. I'm sure I'll have stretches of 100 games as high as 75% and as low as -15% ROI. Pudge, you bring up a good point in that variance can be a beast, and I am very careful with Bankroll Management (I use Fox's guidelines at "pro" times three, and that is nitty to say the least, maybe even -EV long term, but I'm okay with that) Anyone reading this desiring to go pro needs to understand this important issue.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:23 AM

why does this have 20 pages and why in gods name did i read through them all over some random donk-n-go player, i feel like i have lost braincells
Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why does this have 20 pages

[/ QUOTE ]

'cause you haven't figured out how to adjust the number of posts displayer per page yet.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:31 AM

maybe i prefer it this way huh huh
Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 AM

fk, there's got to be something to learn from anybody that's at least winning. I've never got the impression, ever, that jfr is actually bragging on anyone. She teaches, no one has to take her classes, but they do. I just don't see the reason to be SO critical (although I think criticism is always needed, just not in such nuclear manner). I mean, I actually see hate in some posts, and that doesn't make any sense at all. I'm not saying people should just all make a truce, and hold hands, but dang.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why does this have 20 pages and why in gods name did i read through them all over some random donk-n-go player, i feel like i have lost braincells

[/ QUOTE ]
The real reason
Old 08-07-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jennifear, you rock the socks off the sock rockers of the world. A big good luck from across the pond x

[/ QUOTE ]

this is like the gayest thing i've ever read

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO A+
Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how did that work out for him???

[/ QUOTE ]

*UIGEA came along

*It's not financially worthwhile for him to do it

*The time required to develop a statistically significant sample size is phenomonal.

It's sorta like "The Stig" on Top Gear and his feedback on how to improve cars. Sure, every now and then Koeniggsegg will remodel their car to respond to his feedback, but at the same time, these sorts of rediculously <u>excellent</u> experts are typically excellent because they have good judgement.

Of course, it is theoretical, but at the same time, it is not worthwhile dismissing out of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent table selection in $11 SNG? doesn't the table fill up in like 15 seconds?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:14 PM

Fwiw, as someone who used to play lots and lots of SnGs for like 3 years, i only started playing poker back in March when i took up cash games.

Only skimmed the thread, but if you are teaching SnG theory whilst not knowing about ICM you should just advise them to buy the new 2+2 SnG book instead.