Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Sit \'N Go strategy-reviews?

Hi Guys,

I'll try to monitor the comments posted here.

dthf, glad you're liking the book.

benfranklin, I don't have a copy of the book yet so I can't refer to exact page/chapter numbers. However, there is a chapter devoted to buy-in differences in Part IV. Also, I do mention widening/narrowing low-blind play as a function of skill level. As you point out, the hand analyses serve to guide the book along -- is there a particular hand you would advise playing differently? If so, I would be glad to discuss it.

Shandrax, there is a chapter on ICM, and playing to maximize equity rather than chips is a recurring theme in the book.

Best Regards,
Collin
Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is a chapter devoted to buy-in differences in Part IV.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a single page (page 234) devoted to buy-in differences in Part Four. There, it states that the only thing that we can know for certain is that the $530 player wants to gamble for more money than the $11 player. The page goes on to say that the higher levels have a higher proportion of good players. This is close to being a tautology, and provides no useful information.

The differences encountered in moving up just one level, such as from the $22s to the $33s, have been discussed in great detail in the STT forum, and such discussions have even occasionally provided strategic information.

Again, my only point at this time is that this is not a book for beginning players.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:16 AM

I don't have the book. What would concern me is this: SNGs have changed dramatically. Three years ago, 4 people would be out in the first hand, in SNGs up to $30. I played a $5 on FT two days ago for the first time in six months. The first hand folded to the blinds.

Even this $5 level was ridiculously tight. It was either fold or push. One player was playing poker. ME. No one else. The poker player won it, but it wasn't any fun at all.

If the book doesn't address how they've changed and how the SNG player has to adjust, then it's not going to work. I made my first roll on SNGs. Now, I wouldn't care to play them for any reason other than breaking the monotony of regular cash games. They are nowhere near as lucrative as they were once.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there is a chapter devoted to buy-in differences in Part IV.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a single page (page 234) devoted to buy-in differences in Part Four. There, it states that the only thing that we can know for certain is that the $530 player wants to gamble for more money than the $11 player. The page goes on to say that the higher levels have a higher proportion of good players. This is close to being a tautology, and provides no useful information.

The differences encountered in moving up just one level, such as from the $22s to the $33s, have been discussed in great detail in the STT forum, and such discussions have even occasionally provided strategic information.

Again, my only point at this time is that this is not a book for beginning players.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true, this is critical in whether I buy this book or not.

I am so tired of hearing SnG strategy, and then learning that it wouldn't work well at my buy in. Then, being told I'm stupid because I should have known to adjust. Adjust? Really? Don't you think I'd like to learn HOW to adjust?

It's quite true that SnGs have tightened up at lower levels. I think they have gotten a little easier (or I could be on a good run, who knows). I stay tight, but I raise with a lot of hands in late position, MOST DEFINITELY GET A CALLER, and when they don't hit, they check/fold to my flop bet. It's like players at lower levels are gold mines these days, but I wonder if people are still trying to play them the way they did a few years ago. Don't know.

Anyhow, Collin please address (at some point) how you teach people to truly adjust your advice for buy in level. This is something that is so overlooked.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have the book. What would concern me is this: SNGs have changed dramatically. Three years ago, 4 people would be out in the first hand, in SNGs up to $30. I played a $5 on FT two days ago for the first time in six months. The first hand folded to the blinds.

Even this $5 level was ridiculously tight. It was either fold or push. One player was playing poker. ME. No one else. The poker player won it, but it wasn't any fun at all.

If the book doesn't address how they've changed and how the SNG player has to adjust, then it's not going to work. I made my first roll on SNGs. Now, I wouldn't care to play them for any reason other than breaking the monotony of regular cash games. They are nowhere near as lucrative as they were once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with this. I used to love SNGs because the game would become short-handed so quickly and then real play would begin. No longer...everyone's tight as a drum and you're lucky to be down to 5 after 4 or 5 rounds. The games have definitely changed and I only play SNGs now when I am short on time.

I'm still going to read the book though...just waiting for it to get here!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:40 AM

Any chance this book will become an item for purchase with Stars FPP's?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If the book doesn't address how they've changed and how the SNG player has to adjust, then it's not going to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping for something on that topic too. I have only read the first 100 pages or so, but so far there has been no discussion about actual online playing conditions, either changes over time or differences between different sites or buyin levels.

I tried to find something about it in the index or contents, but found nothing.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a copy of the book yet

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serieus? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any chance this book will become an item for purchase with Stars FPP's?

[/ QUOTE ]
I e-mailed Stars and asked them to add it to the FPP store. Let's see what happens...
Old 07-25-2007, 09:21 PM

Darn, i just ordered the book and i'm a beginning player. i only play the 3:40's and the rake is killing me.. i was hoping this book would help me... but i'll read it and see. anyo9ne else concerned about the content?