Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Jacks vs. Omaholic

$11r, nearing second break Villain is Omaholic (2+2er?), tricky LAG from what I've seen. I have 24K, he has 12.5K, avg stack around 14K. (sorry, no access to hand converter at work).

Blinds 200/400 50a.

Omaholic (UTG) raises to 1200, I flat-call
w/J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] utg+2, unknown on button calls, all others fold. Flop:

(pot: 4650)

5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Omaholic bets 1200, I call(?), unknown folds. Turn:

(Pot: 7050)

5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Omaholic bets 2800 (leaving 7300 behind), I...
Old 02-16-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Jacks vs. Omaholic

Is there a problem with flat calling and seeing what the river peels off and how he acts?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:31 PM

I just push the turn with pair and open ended.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That and the fact that's betting so small on two streets OOP on a scarey board. WTF is that about?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That and the fact that's betting so small on two streets OOP on a scarey board. WTF is that about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. Ever since I found out about officialpokerrankings.com, I've started overthinking hands against top ranked players. Coupled with the fact that later I played a hand with him where he had raised utg+1 and showed down Q9s, his range is much larger than I had originally put him on.

In this particular instance, I thought and called. The river blanked, he pushed. Easy/hard call/fold?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:07 PM

I think he's bet little enough that we should just peel. What are we ahead of right now? Only AK/88. I think a push is wreckless even though you have outs. This may give you a free showdown, and he's giving you a good price to hit one of your outs.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:10 PM

he's supposed to be really good? i always thought he was an avg high volume player. his play in this hand does not change my opinion. shoving turn may be reckless, but it's what i end up doing every time and i trust my gut so ha
Old 02-16-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he's bet little enough that we should just peel. What are we ahead of right now? Only AK/88. I think a push is wreckless even though you have outs. This may give you a free showdown, and he's giving you a good price to hit one of your outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my original thinking. However, seeing his loose raise later, I tend to expand his range to include things like AJ, Txs, small pairs. He's leaving himself enough of a stack to make a pot-sized river bet, something that would be tough to call without minimum TpGk. In a draw-heavy board he's giving me odds to draw (or block-betting giving himself odds to draw?). Not sure what level thinking I should be on here...
Old 02-16-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's supposed to be really good? i always thought he was an avg high volume player. his play in this hand does not change my opinion. shoving turn may be reckless, but it's what i end up doing every time and i trust my gut so ha

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't have the stats on me, but he was ranked in the top 100 of 400,000 last time I checked, and seems to be showing up and more and more tables with me. Could be volume-based. I'm not exactly sure what criterion they base rankings on.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:18 PM

yeah i like shoving the turn. flat calling opens you up to getting bluffed out on the river if draws miss, because you've strongly represented a draw.