Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Theory question: Reraising small PP from BB?

(NOTE: I've looked up several threads on subject, and they all seemed pretty vague. (Sticky/PB threads). If this belongs in micros, sorry.)

I was watching a CR video of some dude playing 100NL and he started going on how it's usually a mistake to call a LP raise from BB with small PP. It's a "fold or raise" situation. This is something I've done quite often, and I guess is a pretty big leak if I'm only finding out 'bout it now.

Typical scenario: 100 BB stacks,

CO/Button opens for 4BB, I am in the big blind with 22-88, what's my play? If you answer "It's player dependent" - what kind of player am I looking to 3bet vs, and what kind should I fold vs, since calling is supposedly a mistake? I don't see how calling here, for set value, is any worse than folding.

I see how the idea is that your typical TAG is folding here the majority of the time, and you are showing profit right there. But do those spots outweigh your expectation when you are mining for sets? What's my play if he calls my 3bet and I'm OOP with 33 - c/f? If this is in fact a raise/fold situation, what about the SB? Am I to 3bet there too, with the BB to act behind me?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Theory question: Reraising small PP from BB?

against better players yeah, 3-betting w. small pairs is fine. when your cold calling them everytime your hand range is almost always limited to scs/pps so 3-betting them is a nice way to widen your range.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 AM

Super complicated topic. Some general stuff:

If the guy raising in late position is real aggro in late position (like, a typical 22/18 guy probably open like 35% of hands on the button), you have *very* low implied odds. He generally won't have a good hand, and if you hit your set you won't get paid. Lots of times you'll just c/f the best hand, since what else are you gonna do with 22 on a K-J-8 flop? Being out of position with a weak made hand against an aggressive opponent is no fun. In contrast, if a real tight guy opens UTG, it's okay to set mine since it's quite likely he will have JJ+ often and if you get a baby flop and hit a set he'll get all in with his overpair often.

So, if someone is raising a lot in late position, you can 3bet them more often and they'll fold a lot. If you just do this with JJ+, you'll get no action. So, sometimes mix it up and 3bet with a small pair like 22. Lots of times they'll just fold. Sometimes they'll call, and you'll get lucky and flop a set and stack em. Sometimes they'll call, and you'll get a good board to cbet on and they'll fold. Obviously sometimes they'll 4bet, or call and win the pot postflop, but this should be the exception not the norm.

If you raise 22 everytime, though, they'll realize you're 3betting like crazy and play back at you. You want to do it as much as you can without them coming after your 3bets all the time, basically.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you raise 22 everytime, though, they'll realize you're 3betting like crazy and play back at you. You want to do it as much as you can without them coming after your 3bets all the time, basically.

[/ QUOTE ]
Easier said then done.