Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Zelda: OOT - Overrated?

I prefer LttP too, but OoT is a worthy installment. It's pretty timeless, frankly. Did you make it through the original or LttP without solving puzzles? That doesn't make sense.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Part of the problem with the puzzles is I'm not expecting to have to think about what I'm doing. I wanted to just run around, slash enemies, talk to people, and collect items along the way. I never gave the puzzles much thought - if I didn't figure it out within a few seconds, I gave up. When I figure out the puzzle (or have to look it up) I feel stupid for not figuring it out earlier. It's always been "duh, why didn't I think of that?".

I think another part of the problem is about 90% of my playtime with this game is while I am high...

[/ QUOTE ]

OOT is slightly overrated - I don't consider it the best game ever, I only consider it top 5. I think Mario 64 is better. But I don't think that's what you were looking for...

Anyway, OOT is LTTP in 3D. It's exactly the same (almost to a fault IMO). It's very rare that somebody could like LTTP and not like OOT. The puzzles are the same too, so that doesn't make sense.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:50 PM

I don't see enough similarities between LTTP and OOT to make that conclusion. I'm trying to think of the puzzles in LTTP necessary to complete the game... I remember reading a sign with a bunch of symbols and having to use a special book to translate it and allow me entrance into the dungeon. I remember having to use the mirror to go from the dark world to light world in a couple areas. I had to push some blocks down a hole in some ice dungeon. I don't remember too many other puzzles in this game.

I also played LTTP when it first came out and only started to play OOT within the past few days. LTTP has a lot of nostalgic value for me and is overall a much simpler game. The gameplay is terrific and I have a blast playing the game.

I always have difficulty with gameplay on 3D games. The camera angles frequently irritate me, it's more difficult to accurately attack and defend against attacks, and I'm still not used to precise movements with the analog stick. I grew up on D-pads.

I love Mario 64 though. It's one of my favorite games of all time!
Old 12-26-2006, 04:27 PM

I just played OOT for a couple more hours, this time while sober. I was much too quick to judge. The camera angles annoy me at times, but otherwise I like the game a lot. This just isn't a game you should first play while high.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe you should play something like GTA instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I picture you saying this in a very patronizing voice while patting him on the head. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Oh, you're dumb? That's okay. Go play GTA. You can shoot people and steal their cars and stuff!"
Old 12-26-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I loved OOT, I found the story line to be enthralling. Twilight Princess is horrible imo though

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, console games are pretty much confined to having weak plots. Games that are truly plot-driven are reserved only for the dorkiest of dorks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I picture you saying this in a very patronizing voice while patting him on the head. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Oh, you're dumb? That's okay. Go play GTA. You can shoot people and steal their cars and stuff!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I pictured that too but didn't respond because he might really have been trying to be helpful by saying that GTA is easier to play than Zelda while stoned.

I do hate when people who play primarily adventure games or RPG's mention games like GTA with disdain when they have no clue what they're talking about. It's like condescendingly telling someone to "go watch some stupid violent movie like the Godfather".
Old 12-26-2006, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly how i intended it to come off. i'm glad it translated through properly on the internet.

it was also an honest suggestion too. but ya, you basically had it spot on :P
Old 12-26-2006, 08:13 PM

I didn't take it negatively. I thought he meant "while stoned". As I mentioned in my last post, the puzzles weren't frustrating while I was sober.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:18 PM

I think that the camera and controls are a lot better in WW, so I like that one better. I havn't played TP yet.