Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Struggling to Settle @ 100NL

[ QUOTE ]
At 50nl I'd just call the 3bet preflop, but they're so aggro here it's making me go crazy. I'm completely out of my depth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Everything is relative. In no time you will be posting about how aggro 200NL is compared to your safe home at 100NL.

Play tight when your first move up then slowly open up your game. Read the sticky posts on 3betting and 4betting.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:14 PM

H1 - fold flop, check turn, c/f river
H2 - looks ok
Old 08-21-2007, 01:38 PM

Is H1 really that bad? Plenty of unknowns would play TT-KK this way and fold it on turn. I prob fold river but I don't think floating that flop bet and betting turn is that spewy?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:44 PM

i just dont see why you would bet the turn in hand 1 (or hand 2 for that matter), but hand 1 is especially bad IMO
Old 08-21-2007, 02:37 PM

Here is my general advice: I would fold both of these hands on the flop.

Now I know that I definitely fold too much; however, the people playing 100NL call way way too much. I take shots at small pots on the flop (I make a lot of continuation bets) and I give up when I get resistance. My theory is that I may be losing a lot of small pots (getting bluffed) but I am going to win enough huge pots to make up for this. I try to avoid the tough decisions with a marginal hand.

You make money because they call too much and are overly aggressive. You save money because you fold marginal hands in small pot. Wait to get your money in when you are a clear favorite.

I realize that this is probably a leak in my game; however, I am winning a lot at 100NL with this strategy. This also is giving me enough table time to get comfortable with the game (I moved to 100NL from limit).

As I am getting comfortable I am going to try to improve my hand reading skills and will slowly start to try to tackle the more marginal situations bit by bit.

Somebody please correct me if this is donkey advice.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You make money because they call too much and are overly aggressive. You save money because you fold marginal hands in small pot. Wait to get your money in when you are a clear favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]
I play the same strategy.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:39 PM

without any reads on opponents, you should be playing both for set value. 2nd hand, flop call is okay, I guess. But generally, fold flop on both.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 is pure spew postflop. The flop call might be OK, but after that it's really, really bad.

Hand 2 is ugly, but not as ugly as hand 1. Preflop a call is fine since the RR is so small. Flop call is fine. On the turn, you have to bet more than 1/2 pot if you're going to bet at all. Your bet looks like exactly what it is, a float trying to take the pot away cheaply. Given the board, I don't like betting the turn at all. The river check behind is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's with those weak turn bets in both hands?