Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: So Long! (And Thanks for all the Fish!)

[ QUOTE ]
So I re-entered the daily workforce again today. I've cashed out what remains of my bankroll from Full Tilt, down to around $150 which I hope to run back up to a respectable number while once again playing recreationally.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same thing I'm doing only I started around $30. Currently at about $180, though that includes my KOTKP winnings (I turned a $61.50 profit). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the same thing I'm doing only I started around $30. Currently at about $180, though that includes my KOTKP winnings (I turned a $61.50 profit). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are also excluded from the general suckitude which is small stakes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Funny story...I actually cashed out my full tilt account completely about 4 months ago. Slogging through a downswing, I suffered four coolers in the span of about 3 minutes while multi-tabling, completely lost it, typed a bunch of censored profanities in the table chat, and swore that I had absolutely had it with full tilt. I dunno, one or two of you may have been there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Immediately after that, went straight to the cashier & requested a withdrawal check for every single penny I had on the site. It wasn't until the next day that I remembered my rakeback account, which had about $275 built up on it. So I had them put the $275 into my account and through a combination of painstaking table selection & running hot, ran that back up in short order. It also helped that I booked a 2nd place finish in a HORSE tourney for around $500, plus pocketed $260 & some from the fantasy poker freerolls. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

So if you count that time, this will mark the third time I've "started over", the first being a couple years ago when I first started playing on Party itself (most of my prior play had been on Empire).
Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 PM

Harv, really appreciate you relating your experience to us all. Would you care to relate what it was like looking for work? Tough? Easy? The reason I ask is that there was so much attention paid to "I'm quitting and playing poker for a living" and I don't think many people gave a thought to the difficulties of returning back to the workforce - explaining time off, hole in resume, etc. etc.. I'm really curious as to your experience with getting back into the workforce. I think it will be valuable insight to everyone here. Thanking you in advance if you do choose to respond.

Again, really appreciate the insight of your experience. Cheers!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harv, really appreciate you relating your experience to us all. Would you care to relate what it was like looking for work? Tough? Easy? The reason I ask is that there was so much attention paid to "I'm quitting and playing poker for a living" and I don't think many people gave a thought to the difficulties of returning back to the workforce - explaining time off, hole in resume, etc. etc.. I'm really curious as to your experience with getting back into the workforce. I think it will be valuable insight to everyone here. Thanking you in advance if you do choose to respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an excellent point. It was tough.

Now admittedly, in my case it was tougher than for many people simply because I don't have a college degree, and aside from 7 years in the army doing stuff that doesn't really translate well into the civilian sector, I don't have a whole lot of experience in fields that'll land you a good job. So stay in school & stuff.

Oddly enough, having played poker for a living over the last year seemed to help me in more interviews than it hurt--there are a lot of poker fans out there, in addition to the guys who have a home game or make the trip to the B&M every so often. I had one interview where probably half of my time there was spent discussing the WSOP & whether Phil Hellmuth was really all that good. Again, though, these were basically entry-level positions; I don't know how good that would look on your resume' if you were applying for middle management in some big company or trying to get back into astrophysics or whatever. In the case of this (basically sales) position, I think I did a pretty good job of relating making reads at the poker table & figuring out the best way to extract value from your opponent to closing a sale with a perspective customer...so as with anything, it could just be a case of finding the correlation, whether real or not, between what you've been doing & what you'd be doing.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 AM

I Coldcall/Cap the Flop:
Full Tilt 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (15 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (18 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 20 BB

Results:
BB has Kh Ad (one pair, kings).
Hero has Js 7s (flush, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins 20 BB.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:12 AM

Online Poker is RIGGGED...(back to back version)

Full Tilt 2/4 Hold'em (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (5.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Results:
BB has Qd Qc (two pair, queens and sevens).
Hero has Ac Kh (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.25 BB.

Full Tilt 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Final Pot: 0.75 BB

Results:
Hero wins 0.25 BB.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I Coldcall/Cap the Flop:
Full Tilt 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (15 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (18 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 20 BB

Results:
BB has Kh Ad (one pair, kings).
Hero has Js 7s (flush, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins 20 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

BB's play in this hand is so reminsicent of how i used to play live low limit (ie, badly) its scary.

then i'd prob berate you for playing that "trash" preflop lol
Old 07-24-2007, 10:29 AM

Kit: BUT IT WAS SOOOOTED
I actually think BB played this hand standard. Once I coldcall/cap the flop, he knows he's probably behind, but this pot is HUGE. BB needs to get to showdown as cheap as possible.

I actually think there is more discussion on whether my flop cap kills my action if I hit later.

Actually, that whole hand was very marginal for me. I fold J6s preflop and J7s as well if I'm not OTB or CO. I also don't cap the flop if I'm last to act on the flop.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 AM

in a live game i would probably play J6s with a couple bad limpers to me OTB. def. J7s.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in a live game i would probably play J6s with a couple bad limpers to me OTB. def. J7s.

[/ QUOTE ]

James, i do the same

Ben: I know...I was referring to how I used to play low limit. i basically played only premium hands and thought that everyone who didnt was an idiot. i also thought that everyone who chased 5 outers and gutshots was a moron. little did i realize that i was the bigger idiot.

now, J7s i limp here with glee.