Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 AM

Default Terrible VO2Max, any suggestions?

I just got a fitness test done, with the following results. In square brackets is how they told me the figures compared to the averages, I don't know too much about the units or specific meanings:

Blood pressure: 125/74, resting pulse 66bpm. [Good.]
Lung function FEV 4.5 (capacity), FVC 5.0 – 90% (strength). [Good]
Fat % 11.03% - [Good / lean]

But then…
VO2 Max = 30. [Poor] Average 44-51.

It seems I have no aerobic capacity at all, according to the chart I would be below average for a 60 yr old man.

It looks like my heart and lungs are essentially OK, and anaerobic work is fine, but aerobic exercise doesn't happen. It matches how I feel when I run: within 2 minutes my legs get heavy and it becomes very uncomfortable (in a lactic acid way that feels more like high reps lifting) well before I get out of breath.

Anyone have any experience of similar, and a decent programme to get VO2 max back on track from a standing start?

Is there any possibility of anything chemically wrong? i.e. heart ok, lungs ok, muscles ok, but no 02 moving between them, any vitamins needed etc?

TY if anyone can help. I had been doing Starting strength, but plan to cancel it in favour of aerobic work given this looks like an emergency situation...
Old 11-07-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Terrible VO2Max, any suggestions?

running, cycling, rowing, etc.

anything that builds your cardiovascular endurance
Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 AM

Lose weight. VO2Max is a fuction of aerobic capcity to weight. Cut your weight by 10% and V02max goes up 10%. It may just be that you have a releatively high body mass.

I would try cycling or nordic thingies if you aren't comfortable running.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:32 AM

Where did you get this done? I see you're in London, but does anyone in the states know where I could get this done? Do I have to go through my doctor?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 PM

It was a service at the gym I joined: Body fat test with skin-fold calipers, flexibilty measuments, press up count, sit up count, lung capacity by blowing in a fan-tube thing, then a process on an exercise bike to determine VO2max

Not sure I should lose weight, I'm 5'10'' 68-70kgs (154lbs)...

Edit: I have realised you don't know how old I am... above post was meant to say that I am 25 and have a VO2 max that would be below average for a 60yr old!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 PM

Maybe you should do some aerobic exercise.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 PM

%11 fat and can't run for more than 2 minutes.

what in the hell.......not fair?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:07 PM

Don't do endurance stuff, do HIIT.

HIIT basically = VO2max training
Old 11-07-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't do endurance stuff, do HIIT.

HIIT basically = VO2max training

[/ QUOTE ]

Another recommendation for a completely out of shape beginner to start with HIIT. I wouldn't try it. HIIT programs require a base level of aerobic fitness and muscular endurance that it appears OP is sorely lacking.

Spend a few months building up your aerobic conditioning. Focus on working at a moderate intensity level and going longer and longer. By moderate intensity, I mean you should still be able to keep a conversation going, and feel 'comfortably tired' at the end. Your standard session might start at around 20-25 minutes in length, but try to get in a long effort once a week. Maybe start by trying to go for 40 minutes, and increase that distance by 5-10% each week. If running is as tough for you as you say, you might want to start with the stationary bike or elliptical machine, but eventually you should move towards running, swimming, or the rowing machine.

After about 3 months you should feel a significant improvement in your aerobic capabilities, and moving into an HIIT period for about 6-8 weeks can really sharpen you up and take you to the next level.

OP, do you have any guesses as to why your conditioning is currently so poor? Did you grow up playing any sports, and what has your exercise level been for the past few years? Is the struggle to run for even a few minutes a new development for you?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:46 PM

Go outside and run a quarter mile (400m). If you can finish in less than 1:40ish I'd say the gym just [censored] up the test.