Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 09-08-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: OFFICIAL Recipes/Meals Thread

Tuna+Worcestershire sauce.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:37 PM

do you own a crockpot?

pre-marinated frozen tri-tip roast or some other kind of meat. Frozen chicken breast works too.
baby carrots
red potatoes, cut in half.
chicken broth/water to cook in

put it in before work, and set it to low. will be ready in a few hours, but it can cook longer and still be good to eat by dinner.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:33 PM

chicken breast with tomato-spinach-cream sauce

healthy and delicious!

1. stick frozen trader joe's chicken breast in oven covered in foil 20 min, flip chicken remove foil 20 more min.
2. melt some butter (med heat), put in a tsp of flour and stir, then dump in some frozen spinach.
3. get a bunch of cherry tomatoes, cut em in half, and dump em in the pan with the spinach
4. when things get cookin and the spinach melts, pour in a splash of half n half.
5. cook til it gets to the thickness you want, and serve over the chicken breast.

mmmmmmMmmmmmmmm
Old 09-08-2007, 11:51 PM

chicken breast with sherry mushroom sauce

1. same step 1 as above
2. melt some butter in a pan over med heat and pour in as many mushrooms as will fit. fry them for awhile.
3. splash in some sherry after turning up to high heat and let the alc quickly bubble off.
4. turn heat down add chicken broth and half n half or heavy cream. let thicken until saucy, pour over chicken.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:53 PM

apple cinnamon honey wheel

1. core an apple by cutting off each of the four sides
2. slice into thin slices and make a circle/wheel on a small plate
3. drizzle honey
4. sprinkle cinnamon

apple's w/ peanut butter and raisins

1. cut apple in half, remove core
2. scoop some peanut butter into where the core used to be
3. sprinkle with raisins
Old 09-09-2007, 12:14 AM

cook some chicken in campbell's cream of chicken soup. easy to reheat, easy to eat.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Big batch of cold salad always in the fridge, perfect for summer lunch or dinner or snack and a great way to get your veggies in and always have a healthy alternative when the urge to snack comes on. Put in everything you like but lettuce, if any(I usually don't use any), and drizzle with lemon juice and vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Beans(chick peas, kidney, green beans) for protein, grape or cherry tomatoes are best, as they don't get the moisture sucked out of them so much by being in a prepared salad in the fridge, like regular sliced tomatoes would. Add at least one sweet fruit -- tangerine or mandarin oranges, or green grapes, are especially good. Raw onions will substantially cure and lose most of their edge overnight, becoming much milder, and they add a lot, so include them unless you truly despise onions.

If you want to add cheese or any dairy, add it when serving, don't leave it mixed in with your salad overnight. Add more flavor to the dressing if you like by adding a plain or flavored rice vinegar. (Rice vinegar is expensive but basically zero calories, a very good dressing. But too expensive in regular stores; get it at Smart & Final in a decent sized bottle for a more realistic price.) If you want to add any other dressing but vinegar, apply it at the time of serving.

A salad like this, made to fill up a tupperware sheet cake container, will last a week in the fridge for one person. You may have to keep it balanced by occasionally adding in a little more of this or that ingredient. Like, a whole can of chick peas will last a while in a big salad, but you may go through the green beans, tomatoes, or cucumbers in the mix pretty quickly.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cottage cheese and fruit (your choice, I prefer red grapes or blueberries) is an awesome snack or meal. Not much of a recipe for you...

[/ QUOTE ]

kaj,

Thats just the sort of thing I'm looking for, doesnt have to be a full blown recipe. I like cottage cheese with a bit of apple butter myself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-09-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tuna / hotsauce. tuna w/ mayo. tuna w/ mayo and a few saltine crackers.

i'll add some more when i sober up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone have other quick/easy tuna recipes? I'm a semi-busto college student, so it would be nice to eat tuna once or twice a day since it's the cheapest protein that I know of, but I can't stand the taste. I'm not a fan of mayo, but I'll try the hot sauce some time. Hopefully half a bottle of Tapatio will cover up the taste/smell somewhat. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mix tuna with Italian or your favorite salad dressing. You can also mix in some veggies or wrap it in lettuce leaves for variety. Melt cheese over it on an english muffin. Mix tuna with some small pasta(orzo or couscous) goat cheese or feta, olives, garlic, onion, olive oil, lemon juice, etc. This also works well with shrimp or chicken.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:45 PM

There's been some decent recipe threads on here before; you might want to check out the archives.

For me the key has always been having things prepared that are easy to grab and go or are quick to heat and eat. I love to cook, but trying to put together 5 meals a day doesn't work unless at least three of them are things that I can quickly grab and eat. Since I don't like powders and lots of processed stuff, this requires some planning. What I found that helps:

-pre-cook, freeze and package individual portions of proteins and anything else that freezes well and reheats easily
-keep lots of fruits and vegetables on hand
-learn to make a couple of quick salad dressings - oils,acidics , and seasoning can be mixed in endless varieties
-hard boil a couple of eggs one day and throw them in the fridge. They are a quick snack, and you can whip up a quick sandwich or throw them in a salad for some protein
-keep shredded cheese on hand
-try something new regularly. A new ingredient, a new recipe, etc. A little variety keeps things interesting and you may stumble across something you really like.

I used to go to a health food store in Philly that made the best salads. They would toss several ingredients into these hand-cranked food processors that would chop the stuff up. The juices would come out of the veggies and you didn't need any dressing. You can do the same thing in a food processor. I always liked carrots,red cabbage, broccoli, celery, and sunflower seeds in mine.

And thanks for your service.