Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 04:10 AM

Default Re: College Football Week 12

1) I really, really, really doubt that Chris Ault is getting paid 7 figures.

2) Players have often less than a second to make a very difficult decision. That they'd screw it up in the clutch sometimes is reasonable. This is a childishly simple scenario that Ault should have gone over hundreds of times before and he had 30 seconds to think about it.

3) I don't think Ault would even admit that he choked. I think he honestly believes that he made the right decision because he never spent 10 seconds looking at the situation analytically.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2) Players have often less than a second to make a very difficult decision. That they'd screw it up in the clutch sometimes is reasonable. This is a childishly simple scenario that Ault should have gone over hundreds of times before and he had 30 seconds to think about it.

3) I don't think Ault would even admit that he choked. I think he honestly believes that he made the right decision because he never spent 10 seconds looking at the situation analytically.

[/ QUOTE ]
you are proving my point. ault is not not getting paid seven figures but i guarantee you pete carrol, jim tressel etc are. when a basketball player for say, princeton, makes a dumb decision in the clutch while a guy playing for UCLA doesn't, you assume that is why player A is playing for princeton while player b is playing for UCLA. it is the same thing. while what ault did is inexcusable, you have to understand he is not a premiere coach. there are very few people qualified to be head coaches in college football, just like there are few athletes qualified to play in the NCAA. to assume that all of them will be clutch is ludicrous . the most clutch athletes, just like the most clutch coaches are at the very best programs (usually). its simple selection.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:19 AM

glad you guys all saw this....I was watching the Illini bball game, so I didn't have time to post

Ault is so freaking stupid it's unreal

of course the main thing is not taking a timeout right away and saving a timeout + >40 seconds to drive into FG range

however, don't forget his earlier timeout with 2:56 left or whatever

just awful

these were not close decisions

no one should ever screw it up

also, way to protect Hawai'i WAC---nice blowing of the whistle on the fumble...etc
Old 11-17-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you are proving my point. ault is not not getting paid seven figures but i guarantee you pete carrol, jim tressel etc are. when a basketball player for say, princeton, makes a dumb decision in the clutch while a guy playing for UCLA doesn't, you assume that is why player A is playing for princeton while player b is playing for UCLA. it is the same thing. while what ault did is inexcusable, you have to understand he is not a premiere coach. there are very few people qualified to be head coaches in college football, just like there are few athletes qualified to play in the NCAA. to assume that all of them will be clutch is ludicrous . the most clutch athletes, just like the most clutch coaches are at the very best programs (usually). its simple selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does he get to a division 1A and considered Hall of Fame?

not to mention his playbook is entirely predictable as the RB gives the run v pass away by how far he sets up from the line
Old 11-17-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how does he get to a division 1A and considered Hall of Fame?

not to mention his playbook is entirely predictable as the RB gives the run v pass away by how far he sets up from the line

[/ QUOTE ]
the only answer is he plays in the WAC
Old 11-17-2007, 04:37 AM

Semtex knows nothing about Chris Ault.

(now go Wiki him so you can act like you do)
Old 11-17-2007, 04:40 AM

Basically what you guys are saying is every coach admitted to a IA program should be the full package. He should be an effective manager, organizer, play caller, and clutch decision maker. This is an unrealistic expectation. By this line of reasoning every NCAA athlete should be a future hall of famer. The best of the best are few and far between. Just like you expect mistakes from lesser players in lesser programs you have to expect the same from the coaches as well.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Semtex knows nothing about Chris Ault.

(now go Wiki him so you can act like you do)

[/ QUOTE ]
i will admit this. this hall of fame talk i have not heard. i'm guessing he was a legend at some point, but i figure there is a reason he is now coaching at nev. c'mon if it weren't for the most god awful kick i have ever seen in my life new mexico state was going to beat this team a few weeks back.

EDIT ok i did wiki him and it said that he is hall of fame because he has a great win percentage and some impressive victories, but again all in the WAC (if thats where nev played in years back). not really sure what that proves. hate to use the poker analogy but should the guy who torched 50NL for 20 years deserve a spot in the poker HOF, or should he have moved up at some point?

EDIT: even better analogy. ault should not be considered a premiere coach, hall of fame or not, for the same reason undefeated hawaii is universally not considered a premiere team right now. therefore, since he is not a premiere coach, unclutch decisions like his tonight should be expected.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically what you guys are saying is every coach admitted to a IA program should be the full package. He should be an effective manager, organizer, play caller, and clutch decision maker. This is an unrealistic expectation. By this line of reasoning every NCAA athlete should be a future hall of famer. The best of the best are few and far between. Just like you expect mistakes from lesser players in lesser programs you have to expect the same from the coaches as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the coaching equivalent of a quarterback spiking the ball on 4th down. Inexcusable on any level, a high school coach should realize that 50 seconds>10 seconds.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the coaching equivalent of a quarterback spiking the ball on 4th down. Inexcusable on any level, a high school coach should realize that 50 seconds>10 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm not sure what we're arguing anymore. i was saying people make mistakes, especially under pressure. people at lesser programs should be expected to make these mistakes more often since they probably aren't as clutch. should chris webber, a premiere athlete at a premiere program been relegated back to high school for that time out against unc?