Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 02:46 AM

Default How to play top set? PL$1/2

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $2 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($299.45)
Hero ($266.35)
Button ($205.80)
SB ($139)
BB ($275.45)
UTG ($304.20)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, MP calls $2, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $10, MP calls $10, Hero calls $10.

Flop: ($50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $10</font>, UTG calls $10, MP calls $10

SB and UTG are loose and aggressive and why I picked the table.

This is probably a question that's been covered before in this forum, but am I better off calling or pushing this flop and why?
Old 11-22-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Re: How to play top set? PL$1/2

[ QUOTE ]
am I better off calling or pushing this flop and why?

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Candyman - Your set of queens is very powerful here. But low is likely about three times out of four, and if somebody makes a low on the turn and then a straight on the river, you're screwed. Or if your opponents get by cheaply and the turn is a low club, you'll hate yourself. You won't be able to tell if the bet is coming from a made low or a club flush (or both). Similarly, if the turn is a deuce, four, five, or seven, you won't be able to tell if the bet is coming from a made nut low, a straight, or both.

In other words, your set of queens is very vulnerable unless the board pairs. You greatly improve your chances of winning unimproved by having fewer opponents.

Thus you should bet the pot to give your set of queens all the protection you can muster. If someone calls, so be it. Now they have to out-draw you.

This one is not close. Bet the pot. Definitely.

Buzz
Old 11-22-2007, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $2 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($299.45)
Hero ($266.35)
Button ($205.80)
SB ($139)
BB ($275.45)
UTG ($304.20)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, MP calls $2, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $10, MP calls $10, Hero calls $10.

Flop: ($50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $10</font>, UTG calls $10, MP calls $10

SB and UTG are loose and aggressive and why I picked the table.

This is probably a question that's been covered before in this forum, but am I better off calling or pushing this flop and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a tough situation. I normally hate getting all in with a set on this type of flop because I am behind to the low/flush combo, but the fact that so many people called. It has to be a sign that there are a lot of low draws out there. This is very very favorable for you. In this situation I would probably shove because of 2 reasons:

1) The pot is pretty damn big. Even if you are a bit behind to the low flush combo there is already so much dead money in there that its makes up for you being a bit behind.

2) The amount of callers. The fact that 1 bet and 2 called tells you that there are several low draws and flush draws out there. This means that they have some of their own outs. I would be surprised if more than 6 clubs were left in the deck and I am pretty sure the amount of low cards left is small as well.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:54 PM

If SB and UTG are LAG, and given that the flop went small bet/call/call, chances are pretty good that nobody is holding A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or anything else that you would be behind HU if you shove. You also set up a squeeze play that makes it hard for SB and UTG to call even if they have proper odds to to so.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:33 PM

easy answer: RAISE POT
Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 PM

I would probably call.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:30 PM

I don't like being in this spot. I don't push. I look for much bigger (and much clearer) edges vs players as you described. You are a little shy of re-draws which is sooo important in PL Omaha 8/b. I don't want to be heads up with a ton of money in the pot and some more at risk vs a club draw, low draw, open end straight.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:41 PM

I'd call sometimes.. make a small raise other times.. if you put in something like a 30-40 raise you're going to be able to punish them much more on the turn if a good card does happen to come for you. I'm not really looking to get it all in on the flop, but if you do raise and someone comes over the top you're going to have to, that's the only drawback with raising imo.