Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 10-26-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Adjusting from pot-limit o8 to limit o8

Hi all,

I would like to know, which are the key adjustments I have to make, to get my groove on at limit o8 games.

I feel that playing limit o8 the way I play pl makes me a huge fish. I try to be agressive on plo8 games, but doesen't work that way on limt o8

tips? also some thoughts about which levels are the same compared limit o8 and plo8?

anyone interested giving some private lessons?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Adjusting from pot-limit o8 to limit o8

Tuttufin - In terms of strategy and tactics, fixed-limit Omaha-8 and pot-limit Omaha-8 are like night and day.

For example, getting quartered in pot-limit can be a disaster while getting quartered in fixed-limit is generally no big deal.

From what I have seen, pot-limit Omaha-8 plays more like pot-limit Omaha-high, or even no-limit Texas hold 'em, than fixed-limit Omaha-8.

Full ring, fixed-limit Omaha-8 seems a breed apart.

I'd say start out slowly and cautiously. That's at least a safe approach. And don't make the mistake of assuming someone who doesn't raise much before the flop is not aggressive or doesn't know the game.

Buzz
Old 10-30-2007, 08:42 AM

This helped, thanks. I dont know If im up to the challenge of beating lo8 games, but maybe I'll try it once again.

Basically I have to learn the game all over again. That sounds pretty interesting.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This helped, thanks. I dont know If im up to the challenge of beating lo8 games, but maybe I'll try it once again.

Basically I have to learn the game all over again. That sounds pretty interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

from my experiences at 10/20, 15/30, and 30/60 the games are very aggro, a bet can mean anything from a continuation bet, middle pair, a gutshot, a pure bluff, or top set. button raisers generally continuation bet on any type of flop, even when they get counterfitted. there are a couple of nut peddlers who rarely bet without the goods... but they are few and very far between.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:29 AM

LO8: max value. keeping worse hands in, knocking out better one way hands to get half and folding loser one way hands. mix in ABC strategy to randomize your bluffs. strong hand reading skills and knowing player tendencies are paramount. stack size is almost irrelevant and potsize is secondary to hand reading since you'll almost always be getting a good price to showdown on the river.

oh, and since omaha 8 hands run close in equity, i suggest learning patience to not bleed bets with A87J double suited type hands.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:14 AM

The 2p2 magazine had a great discussion of theory this summer, check out the first few parts to start out.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 2p2 magazine had a great discussion of theory this summer, check out the first few parts to start out.

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks for the compliment. The first two articles are not on-line anymore, but if anyone wants copies, please click on my name and send me a private message.

Please don't reply to this message here in this thread because I don't want to be a party to high-jacking Tuttufin's thread. (Accordingly, I deleted a few messages requesting the articles, after sending the articles to those requesting them).

Tuttufin's question is excellent and merits separate consideration. There are different styles of play that are successful in Omaha-8 when used by skilled poker players. It is my opinion that the style of play that works optimally depends in large part on your opponents and also on the betting structure.

Buzz
Frank Jerome
Old 11-05-2007, 07:44 PM

Ya buzz that's for sure. there are a lot of different styles. U gotta be like a chamellion though. Stick and move. Switch around. BAM now im rambo. BAM now im mother Theresa. BAM i bet out my hand, BAM i check raise. Where am I? Where am I? BAM.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 PM

Interesting you said this, Buzz, as I argued that plo8b should live under the plo banner, back when we had our first forum splits. PLo8b is very strange as it doesn't really resemble either game it might expect, PLO or limit O8b. But its closer to PLO.

gl

bdd
Old 11-05-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PLo8b is very strange as it doesn't really resemble either game it might expect,

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Big Dave D,

I [deleted by Buzz because it offends me and possibly also offends some other readers] in the jungle attacking you with a WH (wheel+ house at the same freackin time BAHAHAHAHHA BA< BEUfnw8393 BMABMBM AMIWE)

-9999999 (aka a freakin tyranasaurus rex ripping off the head of your A2346 + set

<font color="green">9999999 - I'm not sure what to make of the rest of this post (the un-deleted portion). This is primarily a tactics and strategy forum for Omaha-8. - Buzz</font>