Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Rutgers 7-0
1 3 21.43%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 3 21.43%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Poll: Most / Least like-able players at the WSOP FT

Forget about skill, since there was not much to go on in the ESPN broadcast; vote for the most / least like-able character at the final table. Define like-able however you wish.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Poll: Most / Least like-able players at the WSOP FT

i have yet to figure out what is so unlikeable about the new ME champ. so what if it's a bit annoying that he talks to jesus/god every big decision/hand. does that truly make someone unlikeable?

he treated his opponents and the game and tournament respectfully. it would seem that you donks refuse to like anyone, ever! i watched many hours of the ppv broadcast. i found it interesting that the pros that would visit with the hosts were getting theirselves all worked up that yang was playing way too aggressive and that he'd get caught. well, i guess he proved them wrong. he WON the tournament. he attacked the final table. we hear talk all the time that aggression is rewarded and yang obviously came up with a plan going into the final table that he'd either bust out and win 500k or he'd win it all. Yang did what, i think, most poker players would like to believe we'd be able to do.

if he had lost with the Jacks that he pushed childs off his queens with. would anyone really have anything to say about yang?

sounds like most posters dislike the guy because he had a good run. later, he accurately read that watkinson was shoving to get him out of the hand. his call with A9 can be criticized or you can give him credit for a good read.. or like me you can believe that he called to let the table know that this was HIS table and that he'll call any of their all in's with practically anything.

i saw this coming after the ppv. i knew when they showed this on espn you donks (more aptly nits) would criticize the guy.

you will never win a large tournament playing weak/tight. it seems that weak tight is the endorsed playing style here on this forum.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:47 PM

His call to a reraise with A5o said a lot to me. ANd i didn't even like him before that at all.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 PM

I picked Kalmer is the person I liked the least. For some reason he just got under my skin with his stupid grin and t-shirt.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:30 PM

I agree with your assessment of Yangs strategy. I too watched the PPV and basically, my take was that he came out aggressive while everyone else was tight. Kept everyone off guard and off balance with varying sized raises. Put them on tilt to the point that Hilm wound up going broke on 5-8 and Watkinson on A-7. He built his stack by outplaying people and getting his money in with the best of it (with the exception of the 8J vs. Childs)... then, when he had the stack, he used it like the sword of Damoclese and terrorized the table. He consistently got his money in with the best of it and, had it not been for some bad beats, he would have won it some 6 hours earlier.

All Phil Gordon kept doing on the PPV broadcast along with his cronies was criticize and predict doom and gloom. It was annoying to listen to. I'm not sure which was more annoying to listen to - Gordon deathrooting him, or Yang praying to Jesus.

But I do know something for sure: If it was Allen Cunningham doing that, or Scotty Nguyen, he would have been yackling about what a genius they were sensing the situation and taking advantage of their weakness and how brilliantly they played the big stack, yada yada.

That notwithstanding, Yang is not a very likeable guy and, as predicted, we haven't heard a word from him or about him since July. He is completely unmarketable by the WSOP brand and they know it and they won't be able to make much bling from it - but he played well.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:49 PM

Phil Gordon is a joke.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM

Phlegm are you joking?
He went crazy with JJ and was lucky he didn't go broke. Made his call with AK way way too fast angaisnt Hilm showing clearly that hes not thinking at all. And called a raise from a known tight player for 8x his raise with A 9 offsuit, he was garabge. I can't even keep watching casue im so upset that this fucknut won.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:17 PM

jerry yangs antics was soo awkward even on TV, i wonder how it felt for those ppl in the audience?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:24 PM

I think the prayer stuff with Yang turned me off on him. But he played the best by far. The only one that really made moves outside of AK, and maybe Rahme. He did get some great cards. I think he only made 1 or 2 bad calls the entire time.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 PM

Kravchenko played the best poker by far at the FT. Had he won AK vs 88 flip, we would be talking about the guy who is much more deserving to be a champion. Also, the new potential poker market in Russia could be great for the our game in general.

I picked Hilm as most likeable and Yang as most unlikeable, the dude is really annoying.