Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

Yankees Interest In Lowell Waning, thank god
Old 11-17-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the obsession centered around debating these baseball contracts, especially when most of the debating is between NYY and BOS fans. I realize that if I was, for example, a KC fan and the Royals made a deal like this, it would be a huge risk and could hinder their progress for an extended period of time...but I'm not. I'm a fan of the New York Yankees, a baseball team. I care about their performance on the field, and that's it. Alex Rodriguez is the best position player in the MLB, and he will (most likely) be playing on the team I root for. I can't complain. I know that acquiring A-Rod is in the baseball team's best interest because they are able to take the risk.

Sure, there is a huge uncertainty about the ability of A-Rod in 7-8 years. Are they overpaying him the last few years? Who knows?

I do know that the people involved with the A-Rod negotiations know SLIGHTLY more than us about the risk/reward in this deal. I also know that if they are willing to give this deal to A-Rod, then it's in their best interest. Whether their best interest is winning baseball games, profiting from the deal, or both, I doubt the Steinbrenner's would make a deal if they figured the probable outcome would set them back (baseball-wise or financially).

I laugh when a person comes on here trying to ridicule a deal because of what they have heard on ESPN.com. For example, people complaining about the length of the deal when you haven't even heard of other deals over 7 years? Maybe, just maybe, there are discussions between clubs that don't get reported.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoya -

This is the fundamental question of intelligent sports fandom. We can only speculate. It can never be known who would go where for what money, or why players go the places they go - whether there's something more or less than money.

In baseball, especially in New York, a lot of contracts are negotiated through the media, so it's easy to delude ourselves into believe we've got all the information. We don't.

That said, it's really not a good contract - but I will enjoy seeing A-Rod on the Yankees next year.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the obsession centered around debating these baseball contracts, especially when most of the debating is between NYY and BOS fans. I realize that if I was, for example, a KC fan and the Royals made a deal like this, it would be a huge risk and could hinder their progress for an extended period of time...but I'm not. I'm a fan of the New York Yankees, a baseball team. I care about their performance on the field, and that's it. Alex Rodriguez is the best position player in the MLB, and he will (most likely) be playing on the team I root for. I can't complain. I know that acquiring A-Rod is in the baseball team's best interest because they are able to take the risk.

Sure, there is a huge uncertainty about the ability of A-Rod in 7-8 years. Are they overpaying him the last few years? Who knows?

I do know that the people involved with the A-Rod negotiations know SLIGHTLY more than us about the risk/reward in this deal. I also know that if they are willing to give this deal to A-Rod, then it's in their best interest. Whether their best interest is winning baseball games, profiting from the deal, or both, I doubt the Steinbrenner's would make a deal if they figured the probable outcome would set them back (baseball-wise or financially).

I laugh when a person comes on here trying to ridicule a deal because of what they have heard on ESPN.com. For example, people complaining about the length of the deal when you haven't even heard of other deals over 7 years? Maybe, just maybe, there are discussions between clubs that don't get reported.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so totally correct. Why should anyone on a sports forum ever dare criticize the decisions of professional baseball employees? I mean those guys have all the facts we don't, and how can we speculate until all facts are public? I mean, the Cubs (known geniuses themselves) gave Soriano an 8 year deal at age 30 and time has clearly shown that contract to be a huge success. So giving A-Rod a 10 year deal at age 32 can only work out better.

And even if it was okay for people on this forum to speculate about some bad team's decisions, why would that give them the right to question the Yankees management that has won the last 7 world series by spending only $50M a year more than the next highest spending teams. Criticize teams like the Red Sox that always finish second and teams like the Marlins (whom I don't remember ever winning anything) who try to squeak by spending less than a quarter what the Yankees spend.

The decisions of Yankee's management are clearly brilliant and beyond criticism. Oh, where would they be without Giambi? Or Damon? Or Carl Pavano? It was Yankee brilliance that put Jeter at short and A-Rod at third in the first place, one of the greatest pairings of all time. Remember, no one ever thought A-Rod could handle third as well as Jeter handles shortstop and they proved everyone wrong.

Clearly the Yankees know all, and never, ever, make a mistake. And if anyone ever questions one of their decisions, please go ahead and out them as a "Yankee Hater", and as a closet Red Sox fan. No true yankee fan would ever speculate about, question, or criticize the team they love.

Oh, and please post more about how we shouldn't post more. I find it fascinating!
Old 11-17-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, the Cubs (known geniuses themselves) gave Soriano an 8 year deal at age 30 and time has clearly shown that contract to be a huge success.

[/ QUOTE ]

? after 1 year we know this?
Old 11-17-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, the Cubs (known geniuses themselves) gave Soriano an 8 year deal at age 30 and time has clearly shown that contract to be a huge success.

[/ QUOTE ]

? after 1 year we know this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Soriano is so good, he gave 8 years worth of value in just one season.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:41 PM

Desert:

Terrific job paving over Hoyasaxa's point and responding to all his strawmen.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Something I don't see brought up enough... When you are trying to buy marginal wins over ~90 they become much more expensive. For the Yankees to continually put out a 95+ win team... they're gonna have to eat some ugly contracts and overpay.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

MVP! MVP! MVP!

and now, returning to regularly scheduled programming.

rivera appears to be ready to sign 3-yr $45M
Old 11-19-2007, 11:26 PM

thank god it wasn't four years... 2010 closer mariano....lets hope he ages well

given all his post season innings, i doubt it

btw, I don't think the yankees would have been able to get it down to 2 years, just being a negativee nancy
Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just being a retard

[/ QUOTE ]