Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Imus returns to Radio and TV - So overdue..

I have barely listened to the guy, because I didn't find him interesting. WIthout that, anything he does in his private life or for charity doesn't interest me either. That kind of thing can only have much of an impact on me when I already like the celebrity. Huge dirtbags do charity work regularly; heck, it's a social tradition among a certain class whether a person has any really redeeming qualities or not.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huge dirtbags do charity work regularly; heck, it's a social tradition among a certain class whether a person has any really redeeming qualities or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting position you have there Blarg. Your comment made me immediately think of Heather Mills who keeps going on TV and radio talking about how much charity work she's done.

I need to listen to Imus to see if I have an opinion of him. I do appreciate the post by Intheflatfield, where he explained what it was that made him like Imus. Thank you for your reply Flatfield.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:43 PM

Kind of like the idea of "praying in the streets," to me. If the primary goal of doing charity work is to network socially or make a big show of how caring you are, I'm way less than impressed.

I don't know the extent of Imus's charity work, and having some kind of "ranch" for kids might mean he has more than the trivial, self-serving involvement with charity many stars and socialites do. Or not. But the mere mention of charity work by itself isn't generally enough to recommend someone to me unless I already know or want to know more about them anyway.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:22 PM

I've probably been irrevocably biased by Howard Stern, but I'll post my opinion any way:

I've had occasion to stop my channel surfing to catch a minute or two of Imus when he was simulcast on MSNBC. Each time, I would think, "Who the hell is listening to this? This guy has nothing to say."

I swear, I originally thought the OP was trying a level here. I still think there is a chance that this is the case, because I've never heard or read anyone, anywhere, say that they missed Imus, or were glad to have him back.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kind of like the idea of "praying in the streets," to me. If the primary goal of doing charity work is to network socially or make a big show of how caring you are, I'm way less than impressed.

I don't know the extent of Imus's charity work, and having some kind of "ranch" for kids might mean he has more than the trivial, self-serving involvement with charity many stars and socialites do. Or not. But the mere mention of charity work by itself isn't generally enough to recommend someone to me unless I already know or want to know more about them anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understand how one can think this on the surface, however, He is not an Angelina Jolie or Madonna, and he doesn't just collect / give $$ to charity, he actually runs a working cattle ranch and lives there with the children (cancer / siblings) who work on the ranch participate in rodeos, ride horses. Both he and his wife have pounded the Autism drums ad nauseum on his show despite the fact that they were criticized by his fans at times. Also, The power that he wields inside the beltway is massive. He pretty much singlehandedly carried the torch on the Walter Reed scandal and is one of primary donators to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes fun.

I know I am sounding like a fan boy. Imus is completly self centered in some respects, but this is not one of them.

btw, I thought the follwowing was a good article re: his return from a while back..enjoy FWIW

web page

ps Kinky on Imus web page
Old 11-09-2007, 05:11 PM

I never gave the guy a listen. In fact, I think he gained more fame for the slams he got on "Private Parts." Incidentally, I used to hold the same thoughts as youtalkfunny about Stern. I can see if I gave Imus a listen, he would probably be interesting. Hate to give credit to people, but he is on of the top 10 djs for a reason, and none of the other ones I know or knew of weren't bad to listen to.

I also agree that he should have never been kicked off the air for that statement. They should have had Al Sharpton ask all the white-bashers to go off the air as well.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:42 PM

How do you guys feel about The Dog?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:15 PM

Maybe he should have been yanked, maybe he shouldn't have.

But they had to do something, and Imus was going to be the fall guy, whether he deserved it or not. They were getting way too much pressure from activist groups.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that's been miserable since he was originally yanked off air?

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering he had about 5 listeners and the other 4 probably don't give a rat's ass. I'm going to say yes.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He pretty much singlehandedly carried the torch on the Walter Reed scandal

[/ QUOTE ]

I promise you that is not the case. Who told you this? Imus?

For those of you who don't listen to Stern, Stern had a funny line about Imus' "charity ranch for kids".

"These poor kids are sick, and he makes them work his ranch! What kind of treat is that for a sick kid?"

(Stern hates Imus. In his old age, Stern has really toned down the anger in his rhetoric, yet he's saved a spot in that angry corner of his brain for Imus.)