Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-28-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Examples of why your dad is/was awesome

I'm going to post two. Try and keep em short.

I did something terrible when I was eight. My mum ordered my dad to smack me. Before he came to my room I put a book down my trousers to soften the blow although I didn't know what to expect as I didn't think he would dream of hitting me.
He obviously saw the outline of the book and said 'Aren't you the clever one', smiled proudly and left.

When I was nine and on holiday I found a piece of Amethyst which I still have but now know is totally worthless. He 'bought' it off me for £20. It probably took me two years to spend!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Examples of why your dad is/was awesome

hooked me up with a hooker in a foreign country when i was 14 .
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 PM

<3 opportunities to brag about my dad.

I guess I kinda win this one. Those that know my old posts and trip reports know about my dad getting sworn in by the Governator, me meeting him, and taking pictures with the Conan sword. And I've met him a bunch of times since then. I'm also fairly sure that my dad writing the budget for the state of california, although geeky, is sweet. Who wants a raissseeeeeeeeeeeeee?!??!?!?

Watching him benchpress 300 pounds as his 50th Bday present to himself was pretty sweet too.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 PM

- My dad has worked 60 hours a week for my whole life. Me and my sister had all the stuff the other kids has because my dad worked like a mule.

- My dad taught himself to speak English. He works in a factory where all of the employees speak Italian who refuse to learn to speak English. My dad said [censored] it, if I'm gonna live here I'm gonna learn to communicate. He started by watching Sesame Street with us, and now he is perfectly fluent (with a thick accent).

- My dad gave me a passion for reading. We didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid, so we would go to the library. It was our time together every Saturday. I still cherish those trips.

- I remember what he told me when I was seven: "Just because you come from a long line of peasants and farmers, it doesn't mean that's where your destiny lies." Most of my friends' parents were the opposite. They would encourage their kids to skip school to pick up some hours at a [censored] part time job. My dad truly wanted better for me, which is something all parents say, but very few actually act on.

- My dad is the only person in my family that thought it was a good idea for me to quit my good paying job to go back to school. His attitude has always been that an education is never a waste of time.

- Robert DeNiro did his best impression of my dad in "A Bronx Tale."

- Nothing brings my dad down. His life has been pretty [censored] (I wouldn't be able to do things he has), but he still smiles all the time. He's happy with what he has, and doesn't begrudge anyone for what they have.

I am 33 years old now, and I just recently started getting close to my dad. For years I tried so hard to be like him, but I realized that I never could, and more importantly, he doesn't want me to. He is proud of the man I've become, and the part he had to play in it.

My dad has never done anything extraordinary, he has never been in the paper, or made a lot of money. What he has done is be a good man, a good husband, and a good father.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM

GR,

Lots of respect for the man you describe, especially::

[ QUOTE ]

- My dad taught himself to speak English. He works in a factory where all of the employees speak Italian who refuse to learn to speak English. My dad said [censored] it, if I'm gonna live here I'm gonna learn to communicate. He started by watching Sesame Street with us, and now he is perfectly fluent (with a thick accent).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
- Nothing brings my dad down. His life has been pretty [censored] (I wouldn't be able to do things he has), but he still smiles all the time. He's happy with what he has, and doesn't begrudge anyone for what they have.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
What he has done is be a good man, a good husband, and a good father.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an awesome guy.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 PM

I never saw my dad eat.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never saw my dad eat, but instead saw him booze all day

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 PM

I'm calling my dad right now. I miss him all of a sudden.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:28 PM

He once worked 80 hours in 4 days so he could take a week off to go backpacking with my boyscout troop.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:30 PM

He went to court with me today, and wore baggy khakis, a crappy button down shirt, suspenders, and birkenstocks with black socks (his idea of dressing up).

I wore a suit.

Oh ya, my dad is awesome.