Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Advice for facing preflop 3 bet

I am fairly new to mid stakes play, and it seems obvious to me that players 3 bet much more preflop. This is seems to be especially true in 6 max, which I mostly play. Hands like TT and JJ seem to be ahead of most non-nit player's 3betting range, but there is still a decent chance of being dominated. What is the best mix of plays to do vs a 3bet?

Of course reads and image play a big part in what to do. I don’t have trouble playing TT and JJ vs a maniac or a nit, but the players that are in between and can mix up their play give me trouble. My stats are ~ 20/13 over my first 25k hands in NL400 6max, just in case it affects things.

If I open with a 3.5x bb raise, and it gets reraised to 11-12x (we are both 100bb deep), what is the right play after that? How often do you call, or consider 4 betting, or even folding? I don’t like calling because I am lost when the flop is all small cards and I’m facing a big bet. 4betting is tough too because I have to invest most of my stack to make it a decent sized raise (I usually make my 4bets at like 35bb, is this ok?).

If there is no definite answer, what though process do you go through to help you determine the best play? Do things change when the three bet comes from the button instead of the blinds, or vice versa?

If there is any more advice anyone would like to add on 3betting, or the general subject of preflop play, it would be much appreciated.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Advice for facing preflop 3 bet

ask them politely to stop
Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 PM

I tried that a long time ago! No luck.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:58 PM

OP these are all good questions that I think we all have when moving up to midstakes but unfortunately the answers are too player-specific and depend on your own general playing style that it appears no one really likes discussing this.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:22 PM

OP,
I will say this. I think you would definitely benefit from coaching. A lot of these types of questions can be more fully addressed by a coach. I can tell by your numbers: 20/13, that you are generally too passive preflop. I imagine there are situations where you call raises with suited connectors and other hands where it would be more +EV to 3-bet. This passive nature often translates into postflop passivity and you may be giving up on pots that you could be winning. Additionally, your 4-bet size (35bb) is generally too large.

I have just started coaching and definitely feel like I could help you improve. PM me if you're interested. However, there are also many other coaches on this board that could provide a service of value to you if you decide to choose someone else. I have been personally coached by FoxwoodsFiend and found it to be tremendously helpful to my game.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the great reply. I will definitely look into coaching and "shop around" over the next few weeks. Thanks for the comment on my stats, I think you are definitely right about me calling raises too much with suited connectors, etc. where I could be 3 betting instead. I just have to start getting myself into a more aggressive mindset and hopefully some of these things will fall into place on their own.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 PM

You just need to have more balls, make more moves, and be less results orientated.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:48 PM

Do anything but fold.