Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Default How many buyins have you lost and recovered?

I am on a bit of a bad run at the moment. I have been profitable for two years and am currently playing 200NL. During my move from dime to 200NL I have had several buyin swings.

So, to all you other profitable players, what is the most number of buyins that you have lost and have recovered from without going bust or having to reload? Mine is 10 buyins
Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Re: How many buyins have you lost and recovered?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:57 AM

Youch! 10? 18? I mostly play 1-3 NL, always buy in for the max (300), I've been 900+/- deep a number of times and only not dug out 1 time. I figure after losing the 3rd buy no mater how good the game seems to be I'm not playing well enough to beat it. It's go home time. Think about what I'm doing wrong, come back ready to beat the game and get the monkey off my back.

I'm not sure I believe in "runs" but I'd have a hard time arguing against them. I've had a hard month before and know what it feels like. For me, I'm just thinking about surviving the dry spell for less loss or a better profit than the last time I went through it. Sometimes it seems like you can play for 30-40 hours without a big hand. It all comes around to equal out in the end however.

Dave
Old 11-06-2007, 01:20 AM

22. Sucked large.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:25 AM

He's not talking about how much you lost in a specific session, he's talking about swings overall, which can easily run into double digits even for solid winning players. Players in high variance games with smaller edges are prone to this (especially if they have a high variance style of play).

To answer OP, my biggest NLHE downswing (since I've started counting) has been 8 BI in a 7k hand stretch. You will see more drastic numbers than this though.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:43 AM

Though, I believe that most people who say something like 32 probably aren't winning players in the first place.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:54 AM

7.5 BI, only at $10nl though. Funny enough, I have never since had nearly that big a down swing, just a few times were I swung 4 BI or so.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Youch! 10? 18? I mostly play 1-3 NL, always buy in for the max (300), I've been 900+/- deep a number of times and only not dug out 1 time. I figure after losing the 3rd buy no mater how good the game seems to be I'm not playing well enough to beat it. It's go home time. Think about what I'm doing wrong, come back ready to beat the game and get the monkey off my back.

I'm not sure I believe in "runs" but I'd have a hard time arguing against them. I've had a hard month before and know what it feels like. For me, I'm just thinking about surviving the dry spell for less loss or a better profit than the last time I went through it. Sometimes it seems like you can play for 30-40 hours without a big hand. It all comes around to equal out in the end however.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

lol it wasnt live. no game that runs on a regular basis in LV would ever result in a 10+ buyin swing for a good player
Old 11-06-2007, 05:26 AM

15. Hinished that month down 300. won 60 buy ins next month
Old 11-06-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's not talking about how much you lost in a specific session, he's talking about swings overall, which can easily run into double digits even for solid winning players. Players in high variance games with smaller edges are prone to this (especially if they have a high variance style of play).
To answer OP, my biggest NLHE downswing (since I've started counting) has been 8 BI in a 7k hand stretch. You will see more drastic numbers than this though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you get it!! I have a friend that regularly plays 5000NL online and he has had several 20+ buyin swings. Those that have had only 3 or 4 buyin swings either don't play stakes that this can occur or don't play the number of hands in a month that I am referring to