Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Hi guys, help picking new laptop (computer donkey)

Hi,

I wanted to ask you guys which laptop is better for me to buy, its primarily use will be online poker and some work which is somewhat standard.

What i want to maximize is screen res, better wireless card (important), batt life, weight, design. Max 2k maybe a few pannies more.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Hi guys, help picking new laptop (computer donkey)

Can't go wrong with a 15 inch Macbook Pro (you'd probably have to install Windows on it though). Besides that I like the Dell XPS M1330 but it only has a 13 screen, but is a demon.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:09 PM

Any other thoughts on this? I was looking at the Dell Inspiron 1501, which can come with a screen as large as 15.4". I've heard good things about its processing power and battery life as well. Do the XPS systems make a big difference for poker and related appliations (PAHUD, Tracker, etc- I don't use large databases)? I'm not concerned about movies, games, or anything like that, my desktop can handle those.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 PM

Im looking at the XPS, i currently have an old inspiron 6400 (like 1.5y) and i didnt really like it, im not too sure about buying a dell but i might just do that.

If i can get the macbook pro at a US price i snap buy that one, but shipping really fks the price up.

Thanks for the advice, i guess any of those will handle ok for 2 years that i plan not to buy a laptop
Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 PM

High res and light weight are pretty tough to do. You need to be more specific. Do you plan on 8 tabling or do you plan on lugging it around all day.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't go wrong with a 15 inch Macbook Pro

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, but 17". pretty light aswell
Old 11-21-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any other thoughts on this? I was looking at the Dell Inspiron 1501, which can come with a screen as large as 15.4". I've heard good things about its processing power and battery life as well. Do the XPS systems make a big difference for poker and related appliations (PAHUD, Tracker, etc- I don't use large databases)? I'm not concerned about movies, games, or anything like that, my desktop can handle those.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you aren't gaming or anything like that, you don't need a XPS, it's overkill. I don't know anything about the current Dell's, but I bought a Inspiron 6000 a couple of years ago, and it gets used a ton more than my gaming laptop that I spent too much money on.

If you go Dell I would get whatever vidcard they have for it, rather than just the onboard. You might decide to do some multimedia/light gaming at some point as you find you use your lappy a lot. Also look for coupons. I got mine during their 50% off promo. Recently I've seen $400 off and wouldn't surprise me if they got up to $500.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 AM

Im def not gaming, not much anyways...

I was looking the dell since its less expensive(not that big after i put core duo 2.4 in xps) the looks of the xps are a bit excessive for my taste but we, it has the keyboard with backlight and a number pad. However its a lot heavier and batter doesn't last long.

I do want to use it as a primary poker device, meaning no desktop for a while, and if i get a desktop it will be jut to have a setup at a new home with cheapo desktop and two monitors plugged, not buying anything heavy.

I've never had a mac and noone i know has one, not anyone i could ask for information anyways...

Why would you prefer the mbp over the xps? other than weight and batt... i do like that the xps has an integrated 2mp camera.

Im cheking some more standard laptops as regular dells/hps and others... maybe their a better choice, maybe i want to get snobby and buy an expensive lappy :P

Have not made up my mind :S
Old 11-27-2007, 06:29 AM

look at some of the other laptop threads some decent coupons have been going around. Don't get a mac unless you have some xtra cash to spend.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:25 PM

IMHO, the Lenovo T-series is the best option if you want a PC. You can consider their X-series if you want something ultramobile.