Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 09-19-2007, 01:17 PM

Default 2NL - Top two pair, stack off?

Villain was 50/15/2 after 26 hands. I hadn't noticed him do anything remarkable in the time I was there.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.02 BB (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Button ($.44)
Hero ($2.06)
BB ($1.70)
UTG ($3.21)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.02, Button calls $0.02, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.08) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.08</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $0.16</font>, UTG folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.04 (All-In)</font>, BB calls $1.52 (All-In).

I've just switched from limit, so my concepts of nl are probably skewed, but here is my reasoning for doing this.

I lead out because obviously my two pair is too weak to slowplay or go for a check raise. After his min-raise I put him on the straight draw.

Now, if he does in fact have the straight draw, he will probably call an all-in incorrectly like most players would at this level with oesd and four-flushes.

Additionally, my two pair is with two low cards so I would like to protect them as much as possible.

Comments?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: 2NL - Top two pair, stack off?

your 50/50 against a range of:

{ 99-55, A7s, 98s, 87s, 75s+, 65s, 43s, A7o, 98o, 87o, 75o+, 65o, 43o }

at 2nl its prolly a reasonable range for villain to play like this.

i wouldnt put him in a SD because of his minraise. this could really be any of those hands above. I would prolly just 3bet PSB rather than shove, but shovings not particularly bad
Old 09-19-2007, 01:56 PM

...and shoving folds every single hand we're ahead of, leaving behind only the hands that we're behind (with the standard deviation of 2NL overpair crackheadedness). That push looks awesome until it's called, and then it's only straights and sets.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your 50/50 against a range of:

{ 99-55, A7s, 98s, 87s, 75s+, 65s, 43s, A7o, 98o, 87o, 75o+, 65o, 43o }

at 2nl its prolly a reasonable range for villain to play like this.

i wouldnt put him in a SD because of his minraise. this could really be any of those hands above. I would prolly just 3bet PSB rather than shove, but shovings not particularly bad

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much for the response. I was worried no one would respond like my last post. It seems like no one is interested in 2nl posts...I wonder why. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ok, why are we 3bet PSBing instead of shoving?

Is it so we can release in case he goes all in?

How do you play a blank turn if he calls?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:01 PM

3betting with the intention of calling a shove. if you're not willing to go ai then theres no point in 3betting. i'd 3bet because hes not a great player and i dont think he'll fold many if any of the hands you beat, whereas he might get away from them when you shove. if he calls and turn blanks i'm shoving
Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and shoving folds every single hand we're ahead of, leaving behind only the hands that we're behind (with the standard deviation of 2NL overpair crackheadedness). That push looks awesome until it's called, and then it's only straights and sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't worried about folding hands that I had beat at this time. I figured that since my two pair was so low, I needed to protect it against pairs that might catch up. Is this reasoning incorrect?

This paired with my notion that villains at this level often overvalue oesd and fds, made me think pushing was correct.

Thanks for the responses, btw.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3betting with the intention of calling a shove. if you're not willing to go ai then theres no point in 3betting. i'd 3bet because hes not a great player and i dont think he'll fold many if any of the hands you beat, whereas he might get away from them when you shove. if he calls and turn blanks i'm shoving

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, thanks. this was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't worried about folding hands that I had beat at this time. I figured that since my two pair was so low, I needed to protect it against pairs that might catch up. Is this reasoning incorrect?

This paired with my notion that villains at this level often overvalue oesd and fds, made me think pushing was correct.

Thanks for the responses, btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can protect a hand with pot-sized bets. Remember: you can't stop bad opponents from drawing, you can just make them overpay for it. (If you make pot-sized bets and deny them the correct odds to call, you are just as happy with their folds as you are their calls.)

Straight draws and flush draws are pretty much unplayable in no-limit against good opponents - ones that bet to punish draws and don't pay off when draws come. Fortunately, we have terrible opponents down here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If he will call your all-in with a draw, then that's exactly what you ought to be betting. Generally, though, giving the opponent 6:5 on his money (or whatever you did) will make them wisely fold their draws and call with their better-than-two-pair hands, so you shouldn't do that.