Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: *** Top Set w/AA ??? ***

Wow, this is tough. I wish I could lay it down, but I don't think I'm capable of it. MP could have JJ or TT -- heck, live he could have AJ or AT. However, if I had the read you have on him, I would lay it down.

Well, I say that, but in my last live session with KQ on a KQ8 board and a pre-flop raiser who bet the flop then re-raised my raise, I couldn't lay down two pair. If I had followed my read about my opponent's being tight and decent, I would have saved a ton of money. (He had KK, of course.)
Old 11-06-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
^Terrible^. Stop slowplaying.

Take the role of MP in this hand. If the Button has AA, JJ, or TT he has to call a shove given the pot odds. If he chooses to fold, that's great for us, we profit by him folding (because he's making a mistake). If we cold call, you realize we're allowing him to call $50 to win a $500 pot. There's almost no hand that isn't correct to take those odds. But much more importantly, BTN is clearly strong raising this flop. If we cold-call, he's not allowed to raise (because BB's raise does not constitute a full raise), so we have to see a turn. So suppose we cold-call BB's shove and BTN calls. Now the turn comes K. Oops, now what? We can't stack BTN's TT or AJ anymore. So what's your plan as MP? Cold-call and let a scare card-fall? Min-raise which is so clearly WAY stronger than a shove? All other options are trash. Shove.

Note: Calling the first $25 and then cold-calling $125 more with no flush draw on board looks VERY strong. All hands that go broke to that line also go broke to a shove.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Im going to keep him in the pot. Im calling his 100 dollars. I have the absolute nuts. Im a 2-1 favorite. I want his stack and expect to be all in on the turn. A set is not folding a push now, or on the turn. If im willing to push the flop, I hope its because I 100% want him to call! The turn card is irelevant and only saves me money if I choose to throw my hand away.
And Im not slowplaying when Im calling 150 dollars on the flop!! How is that slowplaying? Its quite obvious that im strong! Pushing is when im vulnerable...im charging you to draw.
Look at it this way..the guy that was the hero...he c-bet for 100...his range of hands is wider than a set. With that much money in the pot, he is correct to call with a set only. Why not let other hands, weaker hands in here also. Let AK and AJ come on in...let KK hope to hit another king....I dont want to see the board pair, but its a bigger mistake to call the rest of my money on the turn, than on the flop.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With that much money in the pot, he is correct to call with a set only. Why not let other hands, weaker hands in here also.

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG imo
Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM

I would not slow play this, either. Also, if you push live, players often think you want them out, not in, and they are more likely to call.

Worked perfectly for me this past weekend with a flopped straight.