Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 03:10 AM

Default Bet behind bet behind get thurr, aaaaand I check? 600nl

Although I believe a lot of the posts in this forum suck or have questions that are completely dependent on game flow that is not even close to being described -- I decided to post this here.

This was the first time I played villain, he short bought and played insanely aggro. I noticeably tightened up and he did little to adapt (and it had been working very very well)
I started to get run over like crazy, seeing/winning very few showdowns. We had just played this hand:

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $3/$6
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $543.40
BB: $547.18

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $18</font>, BB calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($36, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $24</font>, BB calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($84, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $62</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $124</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $439.4</font>, BB calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($1086.8, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $1086.8)

Results:
Final pot: $1086.8
<font color="#ffffff">Hero shows 6c Qc </font>
<font color="#ffffff">BB shows 4s As </font>

So he can make strong calls (I was playing very very nitty here), he value bets thin, but at the same time, he seems to read my hands pretty well.

With the hand in question, I am just confused because I do not c/r rivers nearly enough. This one seemed pretty easy to me, but just seeing if anybody liked any other lines on river. (Turn was a brain misclick, used 1/2 pot on accident, not the problem in question)

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $3/$6
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: $2226.88
Hero: $928.00

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $18</font>, SB calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($36, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $24</font>, SB calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($84, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $48</font>, SB calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($180, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets $200</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $838</font>
Old 10-23-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Bet behind bet behind get thurr, aaaaand I check? 600nl

[ QUOTE ]
I noticeably tightened up and he did little to adapt

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 1) How does that make it strong call, you destroy his range playing a tight game basically waiting for hand, no?

This leads me to belive he is quite bad. Still not sure about hand 2) If you think he is fishy enough to stack off with an A here, if you c/r. Does he take a free showdown with a Q if you check often? Is he likely to bluff with a Q?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM

Well I tightened up quite a bit and he was willing to stack off with A4o = strong call imo.

As far as "playing a tight game" yes, but that doesn't mean I still can't exploit his tendencies. If I am facing somebody that completely runs over me (and I am usually over aggro) over a small sample, I usually give them credit as being a decent player. So at this point, I didn't want to completely nit up and have him completely out level me.

Taking bluffy lines + semi bluffing ftw.

I am not sure if he is able to stack off with an Ace here, I would doubt it, but I do think that he is betting this river a ton, but calling a river bet with few.

Is he capable of bluffing with a Q - Definitely.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure if he is able to stack off with an Ace here, I would doubt it, but I do think that he is betting this river a ton, but calling a river bet with few.

Is he capable of bluffing with a Q - Definitely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stacks are too deep to induce a push since you bet the turn so small. I think you played it fine, especially considering the first hand. Nh.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Check raise is the best move here I think. Even if he doesn't call it you'll make him pay and then fold. That's good for the game as a whole.

If the first and the second hand are very close in time (only a few hands in between) I would say that he's more inclined to call the check-raise since it looks like a desperate bluff. If, on the other hand, some time has past and this is the first big pot after that one the chances for him calling are smaller than normal. He simply knows you were waiting for a hand. In any case I think the check raise is the best play.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:23 PM

Wow my post sucks. Obviously making a blocker on the river to induce a push is a viable play, stacks are perfect. So it is basically a question between if he is that aggressive