5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 1 5.26%
8 1 5.26%
9 2 10.53%
10 13 68.42%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Were you picked first or last for the sports team?

Basically last for everything but soccer and kickball where I was middle despite being one of the best players ([censored] schoolyard politics). My elementary school class had this weird system in football where the best players always played on the same team, but this one guy that was way faster than everyone decided to play for the scrubs so the games were competitive.

I spend many afternoons dominating 4 square though, I was quite the force to be reckoned with.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It all mattered on ...... who I was playing with.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this is why I'm surprised that they still do it. So often it turns into a popularity contest with all the "cool" kids being picked first. I was the opposite of a cool kid in junior school.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was pretty bad at most sports, but the captains often picked me early because I had ingratiated myself to them through Machiavellian machinations. Looking back, it may not have been worth the effort.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Am i the only kid who went from last the 1st day, middle the 2nd day, Then 1st(top pick) the rest of the year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too

I usually went in the top 50% the first time playing with a group. After that it was top few slots.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't think picking is at all bad? I guess in a perfect world, some authority figure splits the teams up evenly or just divides the bottom four, but if the goal is relatively fair teams, isn't picking the easiest way to go?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM

My first memory of picking was for soccer and I remember getting picked last and thinking, "what? I KNOW I am better than all these kids!" I was new to the game and of course I was picked last. The kids picked were a combo of the good players and friends and I was unknown which meant neither a friend nor did they know if I was any good. We played the game and did great and was picked first from there on.

I am pretty athletic and am good at most sports so once whatever social scene I was in knew me I was usually the one wanted on both teams. I am not a cocky person at all, but I had confidence within myself so when I was a little kid and wasn't picked it didn't bother me--it just made me want to prove them wrong for picking me last.

I understand where you're coming from Adsman but I am really having to look at it from a different prospective b/c I never had that beaten feeling before--even when I was picked last.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one who doesn't think picking is at all bad? I guess in a perfect world, some authority figure splits the teams up evenly or just divides the bottom four, but if the goal is relatively fair teams, isn't picking the easiest way to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I agree picking isn't bad. I got picked last the first bunch of times I played ultimate frisbee because I was absolutely terrible so I definitely know what it feels like. It's disappointing, but it's a pretty realistic assessment of your skills and provides motivation to improve.

The best was in places where one captain is picking all his buddies and the other is trying to pick the best players. The popular team gets slaughtered and then in the future the game becomes less cliquish.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:52 PM

i think the defeatist/everyone gets a trophy attitude bothers me b/c so much of what separates kids athletically until college is pure effort and fitness. I was a 3 sporter in high school who basically got by on pure heart and it often irked me when I saw a lot of people with better physical gifts than me shy away from contact or hard work or the ball come clutch time.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
clutch time.

[/ QUOTE ]

R U VY?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:56 PM

Towards the middle. I was always one of the better athletes, but I was a quiet, shy kid and it was easy to overlook me. I never minded, it felt good to excel and have your teamates be surprised by that.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:57 PM

How deep in school were you guys experiancing these drafts? After elementary school, P.E. became very organised in my schools, so the draft became a thing of the past. The only times after 5th grade that I was in this situation were during intramurals and the occasional pick-up basketball/football game among friends.