Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Looking more professional, a fashion thread

Based on the advice in this thread, I picked up a couple pairs of Allen Edmonds at Nordstrom yesterday (they were each $100 off list price because of anniversary sale). One pair is black and the other is a lighter brown (chesnut to be exact).

The next step in building my wardrobe is getting some trowsers. I already picked up one pair of dark charcoal trowsers. I want to be able to alternate each day between my black and light brown shoes. What other colors of trowsers would be best for this?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:38 PM

I am a lawyer, and I can't remember EVER seeing a black suit on another lawyer. I think what you are calling "black" is really a very dark navy or charcoal, and yes, there is a definite difference.

A gentleman can build an entire work wardrobe with 4 suits: solid charcoal, charcoal pinstripe, navy solid, navy pinstripe, and 2 different colors of shirts: white and blue. Any number of combinations available with just these simple items.

Also, when buying a "professional" shirt, I STRONGLY recommend NOT buying a buttondown collar. Many professionals do this, but a buttondown collar is definitely more casual (and looks worse) than a straight collar, a spread collar, or even a varsity collar. I pretty much only wear straight collar shirts now.

Just please don't forget to wear collar stays with a straight or spread collar. Nothing says "rube" or "first time wearing a nice shirt" more than some dork with a nice straight collar curled up at the neck because he forgot collar stays.

Final word, which I always thought was obvious, but which I see people mess up time and time again: socks are to match the PANTS, not the shirt, or the belt, or the tie, and socks should be at least as dark as the pants they are matching.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:22 PM

I am wondering a little more about opinions on the button down collar. I do agree that spread collar looks nicer but I also feel a button down holds itself as a classic look, especially in certain parts of the country. For instance I am from the south (Texas) and everyone wears button down there, but no one does in the Northeast.

Also, Alden's shoes are more expensive ($350) but look great and can last for 20+ years with resoling. One thing that people forget is they are better off spending more money for nice stuff that will last year than buying cheap stuff that wears out. You will look better and the final cost won't be much different.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am wondering a little more about opinions on the button down collar. I do agree that spread collar looks nicer but I also feel a button down holds itself as a classic look, especially in certain parts of the country. For instance I am from the south (Texas) and everyone wears button down there, but no one does in the Northeast.

Also, Alden's shoes are more expensive ($350) but look great and can last for 20+ years with resoling. One thing that people forget is they are better off spending more money for nice stuff that will last year than buying cheap stuff that wears out. You will look better and the final cost won't be much different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like button down collars w/ a tie, w/o a tie, and a sport jacket or even a suit, I like them.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Final word, which I always thought was obvious, but which I see people mess up time and time again: socks are to match the PANTS, not the shirt, or the belt, or the tie, and socks should be at least as dark as the pants they are matching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think it's best to match the shoes. Of course the shoes should be at least as dark as the pants, so it works :-)
Old 08-06-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*Match socks to pants, not shoes. Obviously if you're wearing a charcoal suit and black shoes, you're fine with black socks. But don't wear brown socks with brown shoes and navy slacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if it's "obvious", why do you have to state it? Gray/black was actually what I had in mind when I previously said match socks to shoes. But I agree navy looks better with brown shoes and navy slacks. But it just proves the point that there's nothing obvious about it. I think gray socks with a gray suit and black socks would not look good.

I'd say match your shoes, with a couple exceptions. Brown shoes with a brown suit - your shoes ought to be at least as dark as your suit, so your socks should just match your shoes. etc
Old 08-06-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Button down collars are fine everywhere in the US and in most of Italy. It's in England where they're too informal. They're also a favorite of dandyish Italians, who slavishly imitate Gianni Agnelli, who was a regular wearer of BB button downs unbuttoned.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The next step in building my wardrobe is getting some trowsers. I already picked up one pair of dark charcoal trowsers. I want to be able to alternate each day between my black and light brown shoes. What other colors of trowsers would be best for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a good article on "essential" dress pants:
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...-trousers.html

Caveat: the author of the blog is older than most peole on this forum and is VERY conservative dresser (e.g., in his article on essential ties, half of them are solids). So take his advice with a grain of salt if your aren't as conservative. That said, he presents a good breakdown of clothes appropriate for business wear.

WRT to the other recent posts in this thread, he has a recent series regarding socks:

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...and-socks.html

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...llment-ii.html

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...lment-iii.html

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...llment-iv.html
Old 08-06-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think it's best to match the shoes. Of course the shoes should be at least as dark as the pants, so it works :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

You can wear brown shoes with a navy suit, for example, but if you do the socks should be navy, not brown. But it wouldn't be a terrible sin to wear brown, I guess.

My main point is that the socks should NEVER match the shirt, tie, vest, pocket square, etc.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...and-socks.html

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...llment-ii.html

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...lment-iii.html

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...llment-iv.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, those are some pretty crappy looks. I think brown, in general, looks bad with gray suits. A deep cordovan would be OK.