Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: the \"you win\" rule

[ QUOTE ]
I had this happen to me last month. I had been bluffing on all 3 streets. When my opponent called the river I said "You win" and tabled my Q high face up. He immediately claimed the pot and said that he did not have to show his hand. I did not believe him and invoked IWTSTH. So he is right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're even really invoking IWTSTH by asking to see his hand here. You're insisting that his hand be tabled at showdown if he wishes to claim the pot.

Also, villain is a douchebag and deserves a KITN for this.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a 1/2 game about a week ago: I raised preflop, got one caller, bet out on the flop and turn, he calls both bets (I was in the BB and he limped on the button) Finally I gave up on the river when it read Q T 4 9 K and I had A5 suited in spades. I said you win, couldn't imagine what he could call all my bets with that wouldn't beat A high with no kicker. Just prior to flinging my cards into the air flying towards the muck he tabled J7 of diamonds (one diamond on the whole board, one on the flop) and said "Thought I might make a hand", I just smiled and still folded my hand, first time in my life I have ever intentionally folded a winner but felt obligated to do so. Am 99% sure that in this room if I had shown down I still would have been awarded the pot.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. Didn't he have a straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I am confused. Where does the poster think A high beats a K Q J 10 9 straight?

[/ QUOTE ]
Y'all always look too closely at the details of these things. Just go with the spirit of the story and you'll be happier.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you used "spirit" here in the right context and "y'all" isn't a word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y'all isn't a word, it's an abbreviation of two words, when did this become English class?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:20 AM

You win rule not in effect at CP, at least not that I've ever seen. I often hear something to the effect of "if you can call, you win," or, "you got me, you win." The winning hand still must be shown unless the "you win" guy mucks. The dealer will not push the pot unless "you win" mucks or he is shown the winner.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You win rule not in effect at CP, at least not that I've ever seen. I often hear something to the effect of "if you can call, you win," or, "you got me, you win." The winning hand still must be shown unless the "you win" guy mucks. The dealer will not push the pot unless "you win" mucks or he is shown the winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never seen this as a dealer enforced rule, the floor needs to do it. I have been out of LA, so it has been a few years since I saw it enforced.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a 1/2 game about a week ago: I raised preflop, got one caller, bet out on the flop and turn, he calls both bets (I was in the BB and he limped on the button) Finally I gave up on the river when it read Q T 4 9 K and I had A5 suited in spades. I said you win, couldn't imagine what he could call all my bets with that wouldn't beat A high with no kicker. Just prior to flinging my cards into the air flying towards the muck he tabled J7 of diamonds (one diamond on the whole board, one on the flop) and said "Thought I might make a hand", I just smiled and still folded my hand, first time in my life I have ever intentionally folded a winner but felt obligated to do so. Am 99% sure that in this room if I had shown down I still would have been awarded the pot.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. Didn't he have a straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I am confused. Where does the poster think A high beats a K Q J 10 9 straight?

[/ QUOTE ]
Y'all always look too closely at the details of these things. Just go with the spirit of the story and you'll be happier.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I didn't post the hand any better than I played it. The nine must have been an eight, but Bav is right, it was the thought that counts in this case. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jimbo
Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I have ever actually seen this enforced but I know it's technically on the books in my room.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw it enforced once at Commerce 9/16 against this angle shooting punk that did this incessantly.

AB
Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 PM

I saw this enforced at the bike 5/10NL game when someone checked behind on the river and said you win tabling his missed nut flush draw. The other guy had a lower flush draw and asked for the pot even after showing his hand. THe floor gave the pot to the guy with the worst hand. I've also seen the rule not enforced.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Y'all isn't a word, it's an abbreviation of two words, when did this become English class?

[/ QUOTE ]
There was a very significant lack of seriousness in my post. Just giving bav the gears, ya know.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw this enforced at the bike 5/10NL game when someone checked behind on the river and said you win tabling his missed nut flush draw. The other guy had a lower flush draw and asked for the pot even after showing his hand. THe floor gave the pot to the guy with the worst hand. I've also seen the rule not enforced.

[/ QUOTE ]

That player should have asked for the shift supervisor to get the correct ruling.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that floor needs a KITTN