Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Default ATo when your three bet and you flop your ace, what do you do?

I was taught by someone recently that in situations like this to c/c all the way, but I wonder if its +ev to do or if my reverse implied odds suck enough to do something different:

Read on opponent: VP$P 20, PFR 11, AF 1.91 over 400

Full Tilt 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

River: (6.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 11-07-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: ATo when your three bet and you flop your ace, what do you do?

I would probably check-raise the flop to see where I'm at. The way this is played, you have absolutely no certainty where you are in the hand. He may very well have pocket queens or pocket kings. You're likely behind, but you could very well be ahead in this hand.
Seeing how he reacts to your check-raise will at least give you something more. If he re-raises, you can safely discard your hand...
Old 11-07-2007, 11:01 AM

If you put villain on a 3 betting range of JJ+, and AJ+ (it may be only AK+)you are losing here about twice for every time you win. The wuestion should be posed and answered on the flop (IMO) Looking ahead you figure to put in 2.5 BB. The times you win you win 6 BB when you lose you lose 2.5. So calling down looks good to me.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 AM

After 400 hands you probably have a better idea of what his 3-betting range is preflop, and perhaps even an idea of his flop aggression.
If he's more likely to show his strength on the flop rather than slowplaying, you could even donk into him on the flop, I reckon.

Personally, I'd check-raise the flop, and if he calls, check-call all the way to the end, and if he raises, release my hand immediately...

And I have no idea if this is even remotely good play or not... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 AM

this is fine. consider a river b/f.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:14 AM

You take a standard WA/WB line.

I used to donk the river a lot but I'm worried now that so many people know the play that they may bluff raise me.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:17 AM

The wiki is your friend.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you put villain on a 3 betting range of JJ+, and AJ+ (it may be only AK+)you are losing here about twice for every time you win. The wuestion should be posed and answered on the flop (IMO) Looking ahead you figure to put in 2.5 BB. The times you win you win 6 BB when you lose you lose 2.5. So calling down looks good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too tight 3 bet range bona, i play 20/11 and if i'm button I'm 3 betting a CO open raise very liberally assuming CO is a reasonable player who will have a very wide stealing range here. I'm probably 3 betting 66+, ATo+. I'm probably c-betting this flop and turn with almost all that range. So if I'm the villain hero is definitely correct to call the flop and turn. I'm probably not betting the river with a hand worse than hero's, and I don't think villain here is either, so I think it's a fold, not sure I could fold it in hero's place though.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably check-raise the flop to see where I'm at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sry, but that's a bad idea...

[ QUOTE ]
Seeing how he reacts to your check-raise will at least give you something more. If he re-raises, you can safely discard your hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are right. He folds, you know he had KK or QQ, and you win one SB postflop. Just call down and find that out at showdown winning 2.5 BB. You can't be sure that you are beat when 3bet either IMO (although its very likely).

-Fluffy_Shark
Old 11-07-2007, 12:23 PM

Here I like the c/c, c/c, b/f line best. I like the river bet/fold because I don't see that many players bluff raise once the third diamond gets there and their opponent donks.